Overrated/over-appreciated Gear

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

raffor: I just noticed your new Indigo in the 'new gear' thread.

Didn't mean to bad mouth the Virus - I've had 5 of them over the years, and currently still have a TI desktop and a VKC.

It does sometimes seem like everyone who's into synths just has to have a Virus though.

Some of the complaints I've heard about them are - weak oscillators (not so much the new formant/grain osc's), lack of a third envelope (somewhat handled by the lfo's), no filter FM, and inability to use the oscillators as mod sources.
The filters it has are good, but I'd like to see more variety like the Ion has - maybe a comb filter, formant filter, and so on.

Anyways - I think they're pretty fine synths, but a little overrated.

• Members
C'mon, Doug! Nothing else has the
tone
you can
only
get from one of these!

cigarbox_95.jpg

Or, if you're willing to spend a little more cash, this baby:

mb0103b.jpg

I don't indulge anymore, but every once in a while I get a craving for a Padron or a Punch.

Must resist. :mad:

• Members

Care to explain why you think so?

It just goes against creating bold opinions and going out on a limb to say why you think something is really great or really terrible. If you just wait to see whether or not something enters the canon before commenting on it, it would not only make this forum boring but render discussion threads like this useless. And think of how disastrous that would be!

• Members

It just goes against creating bold opinions and going out on a limb to say why you think something is really great or really terrible. If you just wait to see whether or not something enters the canon before commenting on it, it would not only make this forum boring but render discussion threads like this useless. And think of how disastrous that would be!

Fair enough.

What are your opinions on Kurzweil's VAST and KDFX?

• Members
If I was to be brutally honest and this will not be a popular opinion.....that said it is only an opinion after all.

1.Roland TB 303

2.Roland TR 808

3.Roland TR 909

4.Roland Juno 106

7.PPG Wave 2.2 (and yes I've used one)

8.Fairlight Series II

9.JD800 (prefer the 990 with the Vintage Board myself)

10.Korg MS10/20

11.Korg M1

12.Access Virus

13.Akai S1000

14.Any non Linn MPC

15.Roland SH-09

16. Mini Moog

Keep in mind that some of my favourite synths I've used are Dx100, CZ101, TG33, Kawai K4 and K5, Matrix 6, Yamaha CS70m, Emu EII+, MPC60MkI , Emulator III, Fusion, WSA1, Prophecy, Wavestation, Pro One, Ensoniq VFXSD, Emu Command Station with full rom set, Yamaha RS7000 etc ...... so you may well think my taste is in my arse !!!!!!!

(Some of it I NEVER SHOULD HAVE SOLD EITHER).

I still own a Fusion 8HD, WSA1, Prophecy, SQ1+, EII+, Reaktor 5, Dimension Pro, Reason 4 (+ 20 odd professional refills) and Concrete FX Kubik (which I programmed the Ambient Textures soundbank for).

Great post . . . I would have downloaded Kubik ages ago, as I worship the ground you walk on, but it's Windoze only. Oh well. :)

• Members
16-part multitimbrality with completely independent and simultaneous multi-effects for each part (EQ, reverb, delay, chorus, phaser, distortion, etc.)

Well, due to shared DSP resource those ain't independent.

When I got my TI a year back the OS -- or the combination of OS with the firmware/hardware of my unit -- still had very weird pop&crackle problems that reduced the unit pretty much useless (for any serious work). OS update solved this, maybe.

I predict in a year or two from now your honeymoon with software based synthesis just might end. :thu:

• Members

Korg MS20.

I sold mine and, for the same money, I bought ATC-X, almost new. Are you kidding me?

There are other overpriced oldies too, I'm sure, but don't have that lot of an expirience with vintage synths.

Archived