Had Dinner with Mastodon (BTBAM sucks)

• Members

So after 14 hours of roadtrip I got to see the 'Volcom' tour on Tuesday in Spokane, WA. Stopped at a local pub for a beer and a bite before the show, and there was Brent Hinds enjoying a few Stellas. I was too chicken {censored} to ask for a photo or anything, but it was a pretty cool encounter.

The show was AMAZING!

Valiant Thorr - very entertaining

Baroness - awesome as expected

Mastodon - amazing. From what I've seen/heard, their live performances can be a bit sketchy. They sounded absolutely amazing this night and kicked my ass all over the place.

Between the Buried and Me were {censored}ing {censored}. Much of the crowd was really into them, but I just don't get it...an hour solid of cookie monster growls and screams laced with some emo cry me a river keyboards. I like a wide variety of music, but I just don't get this crap. :idk:

Anyways, CSB...no I didn't really have dinner with Mastodon. My body hurts from head to toe.

• Members
Mastodon - amazing. From what I've seen/heard, their live performances can be a bit sketchy. They sounded absolutely amazing this night and kicked my ass all over the place.

I've seen them twice so far... Once on the Jager tour opening for Slayer and KSE in front of about 1,500 people, and the second time in some little bar for maybe 150 at most. Both times they brought it. :rawk:

• Members

The tour rolled through here on Monday...I'm in total agreement with the OP...tho I missed Valiant Thor...Never heard Baroness before, but they were pretty impressive...but BTBAM was not for me...they reminded me of a better version of Attack Attack...

But Mastodon brought it...They kicked ass all night long...

• Members

Wait...so did you get to chill with Brent? Is he pretty chill? I have heard he is either super cool or an asshole.

Glad to hear the show was good. When I saw Mastodon they were totally on point. Did they play CtS again or are they mixing it up a bit?

• Members

Are you really a fan? Just doesn't seem like something you'd be into (based on what I've heard of your solo stuff).

ha, yes I'm a fan. What I play doesn't have to equal what I like. I've been listening to them since 2000 when Prayer for Cleansing broke up.

I listen to a lot of metal and hardcore music, I'm just a bit picky about what I like. BTBAM's self titled cd will probably always be my favorite, and I've just been a follower since.

BTBAM's sound has changed since the beginning. I've always loved his screaming/growling and the difference between them. They didn't always do synth stuff, I tend to think the earlier stuff is a bit better, a little more melodic in more parts. Around 10 years ago, they were pretty unique I thought, and held their own really well. (they are no Agnostic Front or Earth Crisis) Now, more bands are out there to find, pulled inspiration and sounds from so many, that it's hard to see BTBAM as being one of the earlier bands to do it.

Mastodon has been around since 99, Baroness since 03.

• Members

i tried to get into BTBAM (the band), and finally did on like the 10th time i heard obfustication (sp?)...lot's of cool stuff in there, but yeah, vocals aren't for me...i can deal with some cookie monster stuff (opeth is a great combination of brutz and sweetness), but BTBAM don't seem to vary on the vocals...band seems TIGHT tho...

• Members

i tried to get into BTBAM (the band), and finally did on like the 10th time i heard obfustication (sp?)...lot's of cool stuff in there, but yeah, vocals aren't for me...i can deal with some cookie monster stuff (opeth is a great combination of brutz and sweetness), but BTBAM don't seem to vary on the vocals...band seems TIGHT tho...

The musicianship was good; the constant growl/scream/growl was REALLY grating.

• Members

Just shooks hands with Brent. I didn't want to be "that" guy. They played CTS and then a 5-6 song "encore" covering everything but Call of the Mastodon.

I bet it was pretty cool to meet him though. I usually try to be that way if I meet somebody, but Hinds would probably be an exception. I would be all like 'OMGZORZ I HAZ MASTORTION PEDUL TOO!!!!!one!!1!1!.' This exchange would probably end badly.

I dig that they play a good sample of their older stuff - but I know they have to be {censored}ing tired of playing Crack the Skye every night.

Archived