NPD!

Vince

• Members

I've been looking for a higher gain overdrive to go with my Hayseed 15 after I've fallen out of love with my Hotcake (too fizzy/fuzzy at high gain settings). I've tried a Rat (meh, fizz central) and just got an OCD v4! I've just had a quick blast, and I think this one's a keeper. Going to try it at rehearsal on Friday eve and get back to you:thu:

• Members

Cool! Is it scooped in the mids at all? Just wondering if it would cut through in a band mix. I tried a Cool Cat Drive and it was severely lacking (obviously not the same, but still).

It doesn't seem overly middy, but then I don't really want that. We'll see how it performs in a band setting at the weekend

• Members

So I've tried it in a band setting, and whilst it's a nice pedal, it's not the be all and end all of overdrives. It is quite scooped sounding - whilst it might offer a flat eq curve, it could just be the extra harmonics/top end that makes it seem like there's either a volume drop or missing mids.

I found the best setting with my les paul into a slightly dirty AC30 was volume between 2-3 (o clock), tone at 11 and gain between 9-11. HP mode. This gave it a certain amount of presence/cut whilst keeping enough oomph to avoid it becoming a muddy middy mess.

The bizarre thing is, I keep preferring the sound of my Danelecto Transparent Overdrive, I just wish it was higher gain. Suggestions?

• Members

The bizarre thing is, I keep preferring the sound of my Danelecto Transparent Overdrive, I just wish it was higher gain. Suggestions?

Get another and stack... they are cheap!

I have tried twice to like the OCD and hated it instantly both times... i actually haven't found a fulltone pedal that i do like yet....

• Members

I have tried twice to like the OCD and hated it instantly both times... i actually haven't found a fulltone pedal that i do like yet....

Maybe. It'd be nice to have a different flavour though. {censored}, listen to me, I need to stop hanging out at TGP!

• Members

So I've tried it in a band setting, and whilst it's a nice pedal, it's not the be all and end all of overdrives. It is quite scooped sounding - whilst it might offer a flat eq curve, it could just be the extra harmonics/top end that makes it seem like there's either a volume drop or missing mids.

I found the best setting with my les paul into a slightly dirty AC30 was volume between 2-3 (o clock), tone at 11 and gain between 9-11. HP mode. This gave it a certain amount of presence/cut whilst keeping enough oomph to avoid it becoming a muddy middy mess.

Exactly my experience. It sounded great at home but got lost in a band.

Have you tried Blackstar's HT-Drive pedal?

8CDI3NGGkBs

• Members

dano tod + dano drive (gold into silver) is a combo made of win.

• Members

The plot thickens!

I tried the pedal on the normal channel of my AC30 today, and it was great. I think what I was perceiving as a lack of mids, is just the pedal overdriving the top boost part of the amp more than the normal (I run the channels linked). With a bit of tweaking I got it to sound great and had an awesome night playing with it. Didn't get lost in the mix at all. Hmm...

• Members
Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not? I'll assume that you are!
:lol:

hey vince

sorry mate i posted it before i even read the whole lot, i just read the first bit you put and commented,

have you managed to sort it out ?
you said you didnt like it didnt you ?

again i havnt read the whole thing, perhaps i should :poke::facepalm::thu:

• Members
hey vince

sorry mate i posted it before i even read the whole lot, i just read the first bit you put and commented,

have you managed to sort it out ?

you said you didnt like it didnt you ?

again i havnt read the whole thing, perhaps i should :poke:
:facepalm::thu:

At least read the most recent post. Jeez.

• Members

youre absolutely begging for a rat. not a rat 2, probably a 90s big box

• Members

whilst i may not have a suggestion whilst im typing this- im glad you found a pedal you like. ooh- whilst i was purposely typing a sentence using the word 'whilst' a lot of times because is hate the pretentiously unnecessary nature of it i though you could use your OCD as a boost whilst using your TOD!:)

ps. whilst.

• Members
:facepalm:

well {censored} me of not reading everything.

what rat did you try? did you move the knobs? ive had the ocd an three different rats, my 90s big box was the cure to the same ailments you describe with the ocd

i apologize for failing you.

• Members
I run a rat into an OCD and love it. I'm a fender amp guy though... If you still have the rat you should mess around with it for one or two more practices, you never know what you might find, just like with the OCD. Keep tweaking.

:)

Are you running the OCD at 18v or 9v? Any sample settings I could try out tomorrow/later today? What kind of RAT? I got a 70s SF Bassman that I got modded to BF specs. Run it through a Marshall 412 and it just eats pedals (that's a good thing...) I really like a Menatone KotB into a Greer Ghetto Stomp. Best tone I've been able to conjure up so far.

• Members

well {censored} me of not reading everything.

what rat did you try? did you move the knobs? ive had the ocd an three different rats, my 90s big box was the cure to the same ailments you describe with the ocd

i apologize for failing you.

I tried a BYOC Mighty mouse. I didn't move any of the knobs, I just left them where they were when I took it out of the box it was shipped in and let the Gods of toan decide on their position. Maybe that's where I went wrong.

Archived