Channel-switching amps

Zoidberg

• Members

I've never really owned a proper channel-switching amp. That might be about to change. I'm hoping to get my hands on an Orange Rockerverb 50 soon, to try a new approach.

Hopefully I can make do only with amp-gain, and run a mini-board (Pedaltrain mini?) with some modulation and maybe a compressor. Compact is nice. F.ex Analogman mini chorus, mini bi-comp. Malekko phase.

Imagine this setup: comp -> chorus -> phaser -> dig. delay. -> analog delay -> clean-boost -> Rockerverb 50. :cop:

• Members

ive been thinking about this

but with a vox amp

get something like an ehx switchblade to switch between clean and then a distorted channel, and then possibly have a big muff on there for added crunch, and then normal modulation etc

but how do pedals like a pog2 and a microsynth take to amps distortion ?

• Members

It was really liberating to me, 3 channels .. I use them all, seamless switching between clean and 2 dirt settings, it's great. I don't think I could go back to a clean amp with multiple dirt pedals again.

• Members

the amp i use has 4 channels on it, 1 acoustic sim, 1 clean, 1 od, 1 distortion.

i only use the clean, i used to use all the channels but then i discovered stomp boxes.

so as ambient said, i wanna now go and find a great clean amp and then use stomp boxes.

i do use a lot of them now, but wanna make it sound great you know ?

• Members

I've always used a two channel amp. I've never found a pedal that sounded better to my ears than my amps natural dirty channel.

OP, most of those pedals might sound best after dirt (like, in an effects loop). Dunno if that Orange has an effects loop, but I'd say it's a good thing to look into if you want your delays and modulation to sound their best.

• Members

My amp has 4 channels and I use them all. All my mains tones are from my amp's channels and I only use pedals to boost or bring a different flavor. Almost all of my modulation pedals are going into the FX loop. I haven't found a distortion pedal that can beat my amp's drive at high volume yet.

• Members

just an update

had a play today with my amps distortion and pog2 (microsynth hasnt arrived yet)

and i had to say it sounding amazing, i had it going into the front of the amp, and wow, awesome

however my effects loop is {censored} so my deluxe memory man sounded terribble through it

just cant wait to get my microsynth to try now

• Members

I've always used my volume knob with single channel amps for most of my dirt/clean stuff. I wish instead of a switch on two channel amps there was a blend controlled by an exp. pedal. I like to increase gradually into overdrive rather than always just stomping a switch and going from clean to full on.

• Members

I've always used my volume knob with single channel amps for most of my dirt/clean stuff. I wish instead of a switch on two channel amps there was a blend controlled by an exp. pedal. I like to increase gradually into overdrive rather than always just stomping a switch and going from clean to full on.

That's actually a really good idea. Is is possible? I know next to nothing about EE, so I'm just thinking that it would already exist if it were possible.

• Members

I didn't know you needed to be in a band to play guitar.

1. It could be argued that, "playing that sludge {censored}" would make my opinion on the topic of amp v. pedal dirt a little more educated than yours.

2. And you finally got something right.

Bravo.

• Members

You're saying that like I've never played in a band before. I in fact was in a crabcore band playing that high gain nonsense which is why I stated what I stated. There's a reason you don't see today's metal bands rushing out to buy the latest and greatest high gai distortion pedal to run through a clean amp.

• Members

You're saying that like I've never played in a band before. I in fact was in a crabcore band playing that high gain nonsense which is why I stated what I stated. There's a reason you don't see today's metal bands rushing out to buy the latest and greatest high gai distortion pedal to run through a clean amp.

A ha ha ha ha!!!

So full of fail. Holy smokes.

• Members

I like having options. I can do an entire gig on my Traynor's dirty channel just using the volume knob on my guitar to change tone, but I also enjoy channel switching and using three flavors of distortion pedals to dial in exactly the tone I want.

Amp gain + overdrive pedal is sexy.

Archived