Breadth vs Depth

augerinn

• Members

Unfortunately, that is the legacy of all longstanding active forums.
Unless you want to shut the forums down, archive everything, and just make this place a static encyclopedia/FAQ, people are going to ask old questions.

Question is; are the experienced members here going to be graceful about it, and answer with their vast collective knowledge, or are they going to complain about all the "OMG newbs!!11!!!" asking "LOL" the same old questions againandagainandagainandagainandagain...

There's always going to be someone unaware of the trite questions, the inside jokes, and the horses, long beaten to death..."It's new to them"...And honestly, that's a good thing, if you think about it...

Vibrant, active forum, or dead, static FAQ...Your choice.

Not bad for a 200th post...

• Members

Unless you want to shut the forums down, archive everything, and just make this place a static encyclopedia/FAQ, people are going to ask old questions.

My post wasn't meant to be prophetic, though I do predict that on September 24, 2010, all members of hc will come down with a severe skin rash.

Question is; are the experienced members here going to be graceful about it, and answer with their vast collective knowledge, or are they going to complain about all the "OMG newbs!!11!!!" asking "LOL" the same old questions againandagainandagainandagainandagain...

The problem is that this isn't a question answerable by objective facts, and has little to do with knowledge. the answer would differ from person to person, context to context within each person's own experience, types of music, etc....it is also established to some degree that the same questions asked over and over and over again can be annoying, and I'd say that it's pretty certain that nothing new is being said here. Just search threads in which Carousel Candy spoke about the wonders of the synth, and how people buy too many of them rather than learning each one thoroughly - this was THE troll topic here for quite awhile. If there is AN answer for you, you need to find it yourself. Are you frustrated because you can't get the sounds you want on your synths - could it be because you never have them long enough, or can't spend enough time on them? It's just so {censored}ing simple.

There's always going to be someone unaware of the trite questions, the inside jokes, and the horses, long beaten to death..."It's new to them"...And honestly, that's a good thing, if you think about it...

False dichotomy. Obviously, I'd choose the vibrant, active forum, AND hope that people wouldn't post these same lame topics over and over and over again.....helps the vibrancy part.

c+

• Members

False dichotomy. Obviously, I'd choose the vibrant, active forum, AND hope that people wouldn't post these same lame topics over and over and over again.....helps the vibrancy part.

c+

okay, find me three threads in KSS on this topic--you have a day starting now

• Members

if someone new, sticks around and asks the same questions we get all the time, im ok with it. it shows they're thinking and trying to learn an it shows they're on the right track since they are hitting the same topics we've all hit at similar points.

now on the other hand , the guy with the account since 1968, 5 posts, no avatar or filled in profile, RTFM and STFU:mad::mad:

• Members

okay, find me three threads in KSS on this topic--you have a day starting now

ok. I'll spend my entire day searching....

Actually, I hadn't realized that apparently you can't search for a username that no longer is active....I got an error when I tried to search on Carousel Candy and ADSR.

So, apparently, it would indeed be rather difficult to search for these threads, which indisputably existed, as anyone who remembers the king of trolls would testify. The reason of course is that it is a topic that isn't definable by one or two consistently key words...

On the other hand, that doesn't make the discussion interesting on any other level than a psychological one.

• Members

So you're basically complaining that someone didn't search for certain threads that you haven't been able to search for yourself.

Well, no - I did suggest that the topic could be searched for, and that was incorrect. However, I think that my complaint about the topic wasn't isolated to the ability to search for it.

I do realize that the inability to cough up the endless Carousel Candy/ADSR threads will probably mean that this 'topic' will get rehashed mindlessly forever. Personally, I hope that CC comes back to teach y'all a lesson about how truly mindless this thread is. CC was also a knee jerk GWB supporter, so we could kill two birds with one stone. Not sure if he was a born again Christian, though.

• Members

I was able to find this one. I don't know if that's what you're referring to.

But I think the emphasis is a bit different.

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1379806&highlight=less+more

With HC's sucky search engine, including the problem with ex-users you mentined, it makes it hard for people to find relevant threads. I'm saying this because I honestly try.

• Members

And here I thought I was contributing a mind provoking, relevant thread.....just trying to be "part of".....

*sigh*

At least I didn't get banned !!!! :)

BTW, what do you guys think abut the MicroKorg ?

(Ducks and runs)

• Members

I was able to find this one. I don't know if that's what you're referring to.

But I think the emphasis is a bit different.

With HC's sucky search engine, including the problem with ex-users you mentined, it makes it hard for people to find relevant threads. I'm saying this because I honestly try.

Plastic Baby = Carousel Candy = ADSR = can't remember others....

I really am not interested in rereading the thread. If you find subtle nuances in this new one, more power to you.

• Members
And here I thought I was contributing a mind provoking, relevant thread.....just trying to be "part of".....

*sigh*

At least I didn't get banned !!!!
:)

BTW, what do you guys think abut the MicroKorg ?

(Ducks and runs)

It is a mind provoking, relevant thread.... But it got hijacked. The question has been asked before, though perhaps with the intent of trolling. Let's say we just move on.

ON TOPIC

I suspect that we make the "deep or wide" decision dozens of times a day. "Proof that post or move on" trivial decisions.

But some decisions or decision tendencies can deeply affect your life for better or worse. If you believe that music and the music you make is important, then choice between deep and wide, depth and breadth, goes to the heart of what you do and are, will do and will be.

I've tended to go wide in life, to my detriment as far as achievement goes but perhaps to the betterment of my overall happiness: I'll never know.

But if I could give this advice to my son (and have it taken) I'd say: find the few things you love most and follow them until either you or they end.

• Members

It is a mind provoking, relevant thread.... But it got hijacked. The question has been asked before, though perhaps with the intent of trolling. Let's say we just move on.

ON TOPIC

I suspect that we make the "deep or wide" decision dozens of times a day. "Proof that post or move on" trivial decisions.

But some decisions or decision tendencies can deeply affect your life for better or worse. If you believe that music and the music you make is important, then choice between deep and wide, depth and breadth, goes to the heart of what you do and are, will do and will be.

I've tended to go wide in life, to my detriment as far as achievement goes but perhaps to the betterment of my overall happiness: I'll never know.

But if I could give this advice to my son (and have it taken) I'd say: find the few things you love most and follow them until either you or they end.

I don't think that anyone is questioning the fact that decisions we make have an impact on our lives. for instance, I decided to come to work today, rather than proceeding with my scheduled lobotomy.

• Members

Dude, who the F do you think you are interjecting INSIGHT into this thread? WTF?

Could it be that simply NOT posting discontent with a question that's been dipped in repost may have been a better alternative? I mean crap man, are we going to start saying identical opinions are reposts too? Let it be, take a pill, negotiate the price of a Starbucks drink...

EVERY forum has and will have new posters who don't search OR do, but due to the impeccable search engine the topic wasn't found? I say refrain from posting anything negative or PM the OP how they've wronged your archived mind that's been saturated by the newbs....

• Members

Dude, who the F do you think you are interjecting INSIGHT into this thread? WTF?

Could it be that simply NOT posting discontent with a question that's been dipped in repost may have been a better alternative? I mean crap man, are we going to start saying identical opinions are reposts too? Let it be, take a pill, negotiate the price of a Starbucks drink...

EVERY forum has and will have new posters who don't search OR do, but due to the impeccable search engine the topic wasn't found? I say refrain from posting anything negative or PM the OP how they've wronged your archived mind that's been saturated by the newbs....

Actually, I think Michael was cool with the post, and Droolmaster was the one taking issue.....

• Members

Et tu, Brute?

Same team! Same team!
:D

Re-read the thread. I was
supporting
the existence of this thread.

No, no I was joking because you made the best and most intelligent post in this entire thread and I found it funny that you made so much sense while being professional about it i.e-instead of alienating new posters posting questions that had been posted before, hence my subsequent sentences were directed toward the people who might actually enjoy a robotic sticky forum where any post results in a perma ban!

Archived