Breadth vs Depth

augerinn

• Members

Someone made a comment in another thread basically saying "you've got so much stuff there, you're never gonna be able to dig too deep into any one thing"

Which got me to thinking.

What, in your opinion, is better. Knowing a lot of different instruments/technologies, but only knowing the basics ?

Or, knowing only a couple of instruments, but knowing them REALLY well ?

• Members

Someone made a comment in another thread basically saying "you've got so much stuff there, you're never gonna be able to dig too deep into any one thing"

What, in your opinion, is better. Knowing a lot of different instruments/technologies, but only knowing the basics ?

This got me to thinking - what is better, to ask one or two really good questions, or lots of dumb ones, over and over and over again?

• Members

The most important thing is to enjoy life and to be content with what you are doing. Happiness is difficult and frustrating to achieve but contentment can be found by looking, grasshopper.

I do music for fun and enjoyment and not a living so I follow whatever and jump from interest to interest within a small but intense collection of interests.

In my professional life in corporate R&D I find that it is important to have a breadth of knowledge and demonstrate the ability to learn and do new things. It is very difficult to specialize in one area and stay specialized. I find that I have to change major career topics every 3-5 years but the tools stay with me - math, programming and the ability to program in multiple languages and environments, algorithms, concepts from physical sciences and engineering, the corporate network, and the business environment. These are the core tools for my career. There are others that make a career specializing in one area, but they are becoming more and more rare in todays business environment.

• Members

You do what works for you.. For some that's a more minimal approach, for others its lots of different things. I'd say, on balance, most people are probably better off leaning towards a less is more approach..

• Members

I've found that you can fully explore a synth or workstation over a period of time, keep it, and then "add to the fleet", and repeat. Since so many synths and workstations are relevant for such a very long time now, there's no reason to sell your 2-year-old workstation and upgrade to the newest model, unless you're a gear whore on a budget.

I've got a Triton Pro, but I've still got an X3R as well. When I exhausted the X Series, I bought the Triton, but kept a rack X3R, and I find I still LOVE using some ofthe X Series sounds from time to time. Blended with the Triton soundsets, it gives me fresh inspiration, while still feeling like an old friend who I'm intimately familiar with.

When I eventually update to an M3 or Radias or whatever, I'll keep a Triton in the studio, along with the X Series, and I'll know my older equipment very well, while still learning the newer stuff, as well.

Heck, I've still got an Ensoniq Mirage hanging around, and as soon as I can replace it with a keyed version (I've decided I don't use my racks enough, so they're all being replaced with keyed versions), it will get used more frequently as well.

• Members

If you're just starting out, I'd say learn the basics of a variety of things first, like synthesis types - subtractive, additive, FM, wavetable, etc.

Try out some of the physical options too - like velocity, release velocity, aftertouch, knobs, sliders, touchpads/strips, wheels, joysticks, breath control, pedals, and so on.

You might run across something that really grabs you that you wouldn't have been exposed to if only learning one or two synths on a deeper level.

You'll have a good idea of which things you want to pursue further then.

• Members

Bro, nothing else matters if you don't apply what you've learned...

The end result, the finished track will speak for you and tell you the answer.

I'm also sure the answer depends on the context as well.

I don't know everything about every piece of hardware or technology I employ. I know how it works and how to augment their outputs. I may know the correct chords to play without mastering a genre...This is where creation happens and trying new things are born!

Because we're all different you could begin to emulate your favorite style of play and/or artist and come up with something never heard before...We all have different learning curves and different points of view-We all have expectations, although subjective....we all view songs the same way, and totally view talent differently. Even a consensus won't mean the song is good and ready. It's up to the producer, the originator to convey their articulations, their vision, their talent/musicianship...

I won't say the word perfection, but I truly believe that when you can neither add something in, nor take it away....The track is ready and complete.

I was generally speaking from my point of view of musical composition/production...There are limitless points of view and numerous topics associated with the main idea of your original post.

As for the question you asked.......Is it possible to have so much information and knowledge that you simply cannot execute based on that vast information? I tend to naturally learn something when it might benefit me. I don't simply need to know everything in detail concerning its abilities to identify its shortcomings and strengths. If I were to do this I feel it may inhibit creativity, and flow....Something I don't like to have happen...If there is something that I must learn and it must be applied to what I am doing, Then, and only then do I build up a subconscious awareness that I will need that skill-then execute that idea that went from a thought to an action with success I can touch, feel and change.

• Members

IMHO... It's good to know EVERYTHING about a few AWESOME synths you have!

For example, if you have an Oasys or the new PC3x to do rompler stuff, and learn it really in-depth, you have already covered a LOT of ground. Then, to get that weirdness, a Waldorf is a must have to learn and enjoy. Since Oasys can do your basic rompler stuff, VA stuff, FM stuff, tonewheel stuff (and almost all that can be done on PC3x), you have a real beast right there. On the other side, that little bastard Blofeld is really a great little thing to have. It has so much sonic potential.

And, for {censored}'s sake, throw in a real analog and have a blast. So, that's three synths in total, to cover a lot of ground. If not all.

OASYS (or PC3X)

Blofeld

some analog (I'm thinking Andromeda).

In my case, I will probably have a Triton Pro, Blofeld, and Korg N5EX (AI2 strings is a must have!) right beside my Korg X5D (which I know down to atoms). No money for a real analog yet. But I'd think about Polysix maybe :D

• Members

I just don't understand why people debate this over and over, as if this is objective. Learn to analyze your own work flow, and if you feel that you don't know your stuff well enough, and that this is an ongoing problem, well, endeavor to learn it better. This can be accomplished by dumping lots of stuff, or just concentrating on a subset.

• Members

You *need* to be good at something - either good musically (ie writing), or good at playing an instrument, or good with the technology (ie mixing and use of fx) as a minimum.

Im not sugggesting that any are a substitute for the other, but it helps to at least have a solid base from which to explore. If you are good at several - then great - perhaps your way on your way to getting wherever you want to get to :)

When it comes to synths, I prefer to know at least one of my synth inside out and accept that the others are secondary (or perhaps even just a curiosity) and so maybe at best Ill know a part of them very well or at worst perhaps just know a small set of preset that are useful and some basic tweaking. That to me is way more useful than having a rough idea of all of them. Decide which is your most powerful and flexible and favourite sounding synth and learn to exploit it compeltely - maybe just use the others as essentially preset boxes to start with.

If you are into electronic music, especially dance music (and your not just a loop masher), then obviously you really need to know how to exploit the technology - be able to program or at least tweak your main synth, but often more importantly know you way around most modern production tricks, fx and processors used, and the kinds of audio routings used, common setting for certain types of devices etc.

If your experience is limited to a software DAW, then that probably excludes many of the above as there are still alot of things that software (actually more genrally, digital) just cant cut it properly for.

If you have a heap of synths - then you better know midi fairly well otherwise exploiting them fully from you DAW/sequencer or controller may be a problem.

If you asking this question, the I guess your struggling so much that you dont have a starting point and not a clue where to focus. Ask yourself why you got into it in the first place - that might tell you what you need to do.

• Members

I just don't understand why people debate this over and over, as if this is objective

I didn't realize this was an oft asked question. Sorry.

*note to self, use the search function*

(At least I didn't ask what the best keyboard to buy for under $300.00 is ! ;) )

I'm not really struggling. I've acquired a good, basic understanding of a lot of things since January of this year.

I know the difference between an VA, Rompler, FM, Subtractive, Additive synth etc. As well as EPs and Organs, and the different softsynths. (And thier hosts and other VST related tech)

I know how to , as a minimum, use my synths using an Editor via my PC. I can load banks using sysex, etc. I can make splits, layers, etc, and tweak a few basic parameters when need be. The sheer nuber of patches can be overwhelming though, and I spend time trying to categorize them.

I've installed expansion boards and expansion cards. I've purchase libraries and used them too. I've evem learned how to create a disk image for my Kurz so I can upload my own sounds (or those found on the net or purchased).

I have a good understanding of MIDI, and make use of patch bays and DAWS.

I can record MIDI from any source I choose (1 of 3 keyboards) and send it back out to whatever source I choose (any of 4 synths and/or softsynths in another PC Box).

I've learned avout SCSI. And have a SCSI external HD, CD ROM and PIC card in my PCM

I haven't dabbled with recording audio yet, and know nothing about final mix down.

My chops are decent, as my main practice instrument is the digital piano. I'd like to be a lot better, just to feed my ego though.

So, I have a lot of breadth.....

And to be honest, this is just a hobby. I have fun with it. I may play out at a bar band eventually, and maybe get payed a little, but for the most part it's just for fun.

And, to tell the truth, learning is fun ! But, I'd also like to get some ideas out of my head and into audio.

Rambling, I know.....

• Members

I haven't dabbled with recording audio yet, and know nothing about final mix down.

My chops are decent, as my main practice instrument is the digital piano. I'd like to be a lot better, just to feed my ego though.

So, I have a lot of breadth.....

And to be honest, this is just a hobby. I have fun with it. I may play out at a bar band eventually, and maybe get payed a little, but for the most part it's just for fun.

And, to tell the truth, learning is fun ! But, I'd also like to get some ideas out of my head and into audio.

Rambling, I know.....

Rambling? No man, we like to hear from musicians and their points of view. It makes for good reading and I get to learn more about another member as well!

Getting back to your original post I'd like to just come out with it (so to speak) and ask you specifically what are YOUR thoughts concerning the message in your OP?

Do you care what the person told you?

Maybe they can't learn new things simultaneously at an exponential rate?

I mean learning the ins and outs is primarily based upon what you are taught, shown or simply picked up by yourself by either reading about it, trial and error or TIME!

I'll just say that anyone with enough hunger in them, enough relentless determination and apt focus on the ultimate goal thats inside your mind...That guy will be able to do great things. Musically, spiritually, and passionately.

EDIT-BTW I started out using Cakewalk when it first came out when I was about 10ish...That program is great and allowed me to learn, figure it out, learn more and then some. I'd prefer CWPA 9.0 to ProTools!

• Members

I think one should know enough about their gear to be able to program beyond a preset that sounds lousy. Could save them from buying redundant overlap. Then again, if someone is really jazzed about the sound of a new synth, they will find a way to justify it. I do that with my wife, all the time. :thu:

• Members

I dunno, I see a lot of different viewpoints without anyone trying to say theirs is best for everyone. Good discussion, if you ask me.
:)

Any good points that have to be made have been made here many, many times. It's like the hardware vs software debate. We had a troll here, who reappeared under a number of guises, who was totally dedicated to this topic alone. Just look up the old ADSR/Carousel Candy/I'm forgetting the others threads. Less is more. Vomit.

Archived