Recommend me a stiff distortion

p00n

• Members

The bass isn't tight enough on a RAT?

I'm sorry to hear that you apparently are deaf.

Actually it's more disproportionate rather than having too much low end.

Most rat clips I've heard are similar to this:

[YOUTUBE]PNi5l95CVl0[/YOUTUBE]

It's fizzy compressed highs accentuate it's oddly placed lows. It's not low enough to sound round and huge, but not high enough to be low mid chunky girth.

It's like a strange paunch that gets forced into a muffin top by fitting jeans.

• Members

The bass isn't tight enough on a RAT?

I'm sorry to hear that you apparently are deaf.

I was gonna suggest a rat until someone did and it was rebutted.

How about a rat boosted with a tubescreamer?

Or a turbo rat - I think they have tigher lowend.

• Members

Time to conduct a long and expensive shootout.

I'll probably byoc a rat with an open mind. But for now rat clips give me the mental image of post-natal Britney Spears gyrating to 80's hair metal.

The new Emma Reeza looks promising, but the only clip they have is soulful fusion neck pickup wankery. Their metal pedal is too processed and metal according to their clip.

The tone in my head is thick and cutting, but not wooly or fizzy. Not as high gain as you'd think, maybe more overdriven and jangly than distorted and crunchy. I won't be doing the tight metal chugga chugga.

• Members

Time to conduct a long and expensive shootout.

I'll probably byoc a rat with an open mind. But for now rat clips give me the mental image of post-natal Britney Spears gyrating to 80's hair metal.

The new Emma Reeza looks promising, but the only clip they have is soulful fusion neck pickup wankery. Their metal pedal is too processed and metal according to their clip.

The tone in my head is thick and cutting, but not wooly or fizzy. Not as high gain as you'd think, maybe more overdriven and jangly than distorted and crunchy. I won't be doing the tight metal chugga chugga.

Reeza. I'm telling you.

Jekyll & Hyde is pretty cool too actually. Like, the best of the Rat and DS1, plus a kick ass TS.

• Members

Reeza. I'm telling you.

Jekyll & Hyde is pretty cool too actually. Like, the best of the Rat and DS1, plus a kick ass TS.

rrah no local Emma dealers. Would've to order online. Isn't the Hyde side a tweaked Shredmaster? Was looking at the BYOC version a while ago.

• Members

I dont think that anyone has asked what type of guitar your playing or what type of pickups youre using.

Personally, my Tele>RAT has a nice jangle from clean to what I would call a solid medium dirt sound.

IDK. Id say that the RAT would be perfect, and a Dano EQ ($25) to balance any bass or mid issues.

I used that setup longer than any other dirt setup Ive owned. And it copped a NICE heavy/crunchy TOOL tone with my old Agile LP. Probably a little bit heavier than what youre describing, but yeah....RATs are awesome. The new ones (RAT2) are {censored} though.

• Members

almost sounds like you're describing a metal muff

Might just be crazy enough to work. I know a local noise musician who used to use one as main dirt.

Only thing it'll be hard to flip if it doesn't work out.

• Members
I dont think that anyone has asked what type of guitar your playing or what type of pickups youre using.

Personally, my Tele>RAT has a nice jangle from clean to what I would call a solid medium dirt sound.

IDK. Id say that the RAT would be perfect, and a Dano EQ ($25) to balance any bass or mid issues.

I used that setup longer than any other dirt setup Ive owned. And it copped a NICE heavy/crunchy TOOL tone with my old Agile LP. Probably a little bit heavier than what youre describing, but yeah....RATs are awesome. The new ones (RAT2) are {censored} though.

IMG_1594.jpg

:wave:

The BYOC Rat is high on my list. I've got a Boss PQ-4 if I ever need eqing

• Members

^buy used, sell for the same price. easy enough

Not really. I buy just about everything used. And it's a small market over here, so there are some things that just can't move. This guy has been trying to sell a Box of Metal for forever

Archived