Recommend me a stiff distortion

p00n

• Members

Turns out I like them rigid and chunky. Gotta have that 'chk' attack without wooly bass but with ample mids. Don't like them with a big dynamic range either.

I like british styled distortion, the ideal tone in my head is about 60% marshall 40% vox. The midrange girth of marshalls with the stiff jangle of vox. Alot of marshall-in-a-box pedals have more bass than I prefer.

Talk to me people.

• Members

OCD

use the tone knob

failing that

use the radioactive ooze

Just traded off a v4, was voiced too nasally, the mids seems too focused in a narrow Q. But on hindsight, it might help cut in the mix.

• Members

[YOUTUBE]lQ3IaEdzVEM[/YOUTUBE]

Frame of reference: Teppei's dry, ringing overdriven jangle with a healthy amount of "chk" when muted

I'm using a semi hollow too fwiw.

My shizzle:

IMG_1594.jpg

IMG_1589.jpg

• Members

seeryusly you need a sansamp gt2. don't listen to them, listen to me.

Come to think of it one of my earliest rigs was a gt2 boosted with a H&K Tubefactor and it was pretty badass.

• Members

LP mode with the tone rolled back is the sweet spot

This tickles my curiousity. If I ever revisit the OCD, I'll hunt down the v3. They did the mids right and the bass seems tighter than the v4.

Maybe I should stack a treble booster into something.

Ok everyone, the keywords are dry and tight. None of them big booty bitches

• Members

I've never agreed with muffs, but the Tone Wicker seems promising with tone off and wicker on. But it'll probably get raped in a mix.

Till now I've used my DOD Buzzbox set stiff and abrasive with some low octave to thicken {censored} up. But even with a Boss PQ-4 after, lack of mids made it sound like a buzzy ball of {censored} in the mix.

• Members

I've never heard a clip of any iteration of the rat that I liked. I've owned a modded rat that refused to overdrive (wtf), but that's probably broken so it doesn't count.

But some expensive rat based pedals sound alright to me, but the bass always put me off. Just ain't tight enough.

• Members

they're using M13's in that video.

i'd put my money on the 'tube driver' model.

I'd bet they're pushing a hot AC30 with the M13s, but I want something similar that I'd run into a clean platform since I don't have the luxury of lugging amps to shows and rehearsals.

• Members

I've never heard a clip of any iteration of the rat that I liked. I've owned a modded rat that refused to overdrive (wtf), but that's probably broken so it doesn't count.

But some expensive rat based pedals sound alright to me, but the bass always put me off. Just ain't tight enough.

check my youtube channel in the sig, there are a couple of demo of the hartmand distortion, a rat clone, maybe it can give you an idea:thu:

• Members

The bass isn't tight enough on a RAT?

I'm sorry to hear that you apparently are deaf.

• Members

Holy {censored} that was bad

stfu the mix is pretty clean and cohesive especially for a live gig. I like it better than the album mix. Unless you're talking about material then meh, to each his own.

Archived