Humbucker in the bridge, p90 in the neck - thoughts?

t-rey

• Members

It occured to me today that I really love bridge humbuckers and neck p90s. I kinda want to put a lower output humbucker in the bridge of my SG Classic.

Would there be a big difference in volume in this combination?

Any reason you wouldn't do it?

Would you do it?

I would keep the bridge pickup in case I ever wanted to change it back.

And for the record I play mostly classic rock and stoner rock type stuff.

• Members

I have this combo in my axe - a Vintage Vibes HS-90 in the neck and a SD Alnico Pro 2 in the bridge. Perfect level balance, the bridge is a tad hotter than the neck. The P90 cleans and low gain OD are great and then the bridge rips for higher gain stuff and da fuzz. Awesome combination. :thu:

• Members

I'd probably go for the opposite, as chakosh says, but it sounds like a great combination. :thu:

As to any reasons I WOULDN'T do it-

-I really like my phase switch, which is designed for 2 hbs.

-I also like switching between single coil and HB, which you wouldn't then be able to do on the neck PU.

But i'm just trying to give a full picture here. I think it can really give you an edge modding your guitar to be a one off that suits you. If this are the two tones you love best, bring them together for your custom set up. If less people are doing it then that's an added bonus, even more unique. The icing on the cake - what will it sound like when BOTH are engaged??? only one way to find out I say! ....do it.

• Members

The icing on the cake - what will it sound like when BOTH are engaged??? only one way to find out I say! ....do it.

Sounds really stupid (very thin). It's cool for some kind of special fx stuff, but not much else. Who cares though, you don't need that position.

• Members

I'd probably go for the opposite, as chakosh says, but it sounds like a great combination.
:thu:

As to any reasons I WOULDN'T do it-

-I really like my phase switch, which is designed for 2 hbs.

-I also like switching between single coil and HB, which you wouldn't then be able to do on the neck PU.

But i'm just trying to give a full picture here. I think it can really give you an edge modding your guitar to be a one off that suits you. If this are the two tones you love best, bring them together for your custom set up. If less people are doing it then that's an added bonus, even more unique. The icing on the cake - what will it sound like when BOTH are engaged??? only one way to find out I say! ....do it.

I haven't put much thought into the uniqueness of it, but it makes it that much more appealing to me. I bought the SG with the intention of never selling it (I used money from the sale of my Dad's house after he died to buy it) - and the idea of a unique and ideal guitar for me is very, very cool.

As for the middle position - I only use it on the SG, and if there was a humbucker in the bridge, I probably wouldn't miss it. Thanks for mentioning that, because it's something I hadn't considered yet.

• Members

I'm uploading a quick 2 minute vid to Youtube right now of what my setup sounds like. I'd imagine your SG will sound very similar. Straight in to the Marshall, no boost or any other effects or anything. You'll have to forgive the hair - I didn't bother combing it this morning so it's a bit on the "dear god what the f**k happened to your head?!"-side.

• Members

:mad:

F**king Youtube. I tried uploading it x3 and it kept giving me an "upload error" after I'd wait a half hour for the stupid thing to upload... I'll see if I can get it on Vimeo or something instead. I may have to have you PM me your e-mail addy and yousendit as a last resort.

Archived