What is the real reason I can't power my Malekko delay with the One-Spot?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

this is why i like fulltone products... With the OCD at least you can plug whatever adapter you want into i think and if it doesn't like it the pedal will just refuse to use it. So you could plug a positive ground adapter in and it would just safely not power up. FYI i use a one spot and only problems i have is daisy chains don't like fuzz... adds lots of noise. Problem can be solved a little if i turn the gain down though.

• Members

I've used the 1spot for a billion different pedals (including a big box EH Holy Grail) and never had any issues. I personally think the Malekko safeguards are due to choice defected 1spots that are just terrible and have caused problems. There's gotta be someone on hear who has used a 1spot with a Malekko pedal...

• Members

Can someone tell me if the DigiTech PS200R AC Adapter is a switching adapter or not since I am experiencing some of the high pitched whine that is described in the article with me delay and reverb pedals

I don't know as I couldn't find any info, but how many pedals are you powering with it at a time? It only puts out 300mA, so you the whining may be from the lack of amperes.

• Members

I've used the 1spot for a billion different pedals (including a big box EH Holy Grail) and never had any issues.

1 Spot works well with my Holy Grail if that's the only pedal on it. If I hook anything else to it there is a hum so bad that you can't use it at all.

• Members

Malekko probably just want to deal with malfunctions caused by this kind of stuff, so they just flat out say don't use them.

Dammit--I had no idea. But I still don't know what the truth is, because why would Visual Sound sell the One Spot if it had that much potential for failure? I mean, lightning could strike your house and screw up your appliances, but how often is that gonna happen, you know?

• Members

Dammit--I had no idea. But I still don't know what the truth is, because why would Visual Sound sell the One Spot if it had that much potential for failure? I mean, lightning could strike your house and screw up your appliances, but how often is that gonna happen, you know?

Well, it doesnt have that much potential for failure. Just when it does fail, you'll lose your pedals too. I'd rather just pay the extra cash for a voodoo lab or something similiar to put my worries to rest. Isolated outputs worked better than daisy chain in my rig too.

• Members

Well, it doesnt have that much potential for failure. Just when it does fail, you'll lose your pedals too. I'd rather just pay the extra cash for a voodoo lab or something similiar to put my worries to rest. Isolated outputs worked better than daisy chain in my rig too.

Good to know--I think that i'll get a Voodoo Lab or something with isolated outputs. I had no idea that the MA rating if and when the One Spot goes down, would nuke your pedals too.

• Members

Can someone tell me if the DigiTech PS200R AC Adapter is a switching adapter or not since I am experiencing some of the high pitched whine that is described in the article with me delay and reverb pedals

The problem is almost certaintly either:

beats between the clock frequencies of the two pedals

or

drawing too much current from the power supply, taking the supply voltage for one or both of the digital pedals too low, which does weird things

• Members

I must admit that I've learned a good bit from this thread. I'm not sure I would have ever considered the switching power supply as a potential problem in advance until now. But, I would have easily understood it had the One-Spot gone into meltdown and taken out $1500 worth of prized pedals.

Thanks to all the contributors. Every single viewpoint gave me something to consider. :thu:

• Members

Here is the response I got from an email to Visual Sound:

"Hey Stan,

You can use the 1 SPOT with the Malekko units. Very early on they thought that any power supply that supplied more then 200mA would damage the pedal. This is not the case and we have since sent our engineer to them to explain why that is not the case. The Malekko unit doesn't draw anywhere near 200mA so you have plenty of currant to power that and all of your pedals.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Dana Weaver

Tech Support

Visual Sound LLC.

4922 Port Royal Rd. Ste. B-11

Spring Hill, TN. 37174

931-487-9001

www.visualsound.net

AIM: visualsoundhelp"

• Members

The problem is almost certaintly either:

beats between the clock frequencies of the two pedals

or

drawing too much current from the power supply, taking the supply voltage for one or both of the digital pedals too low, which does weird things

It's probably the first one.

I switched things over so that the Digitech supplies power to the Daisy Chain (The current draw shuld be ok) and the Behringer powers the SMMw/H because it really didn't like the Digitech.

Now I no longer have the annoying whining sound!

• Members

this is why i like fulltone products... With the OCD at least you can plug whatever adapter you want into i think and if it doesn't like it the pedal will just refuse to use it. So you could plug a positive ground adapter in and it would just safely not power up. FYI i use a one spot and only problems i have is daisy chains don't like fuzz... adds lots of noise. Problem can be solved a little if i turn the gain down though.

I use the 1-spot to power my twosome and fuzz factory (and 6 other pedals or so) with no problem, no noise (other than one supplied by the fuzz ... which is a good noise :evil:)

• Members

a little off subject but if i plug my 1spot into my Devi Ever aenima fuzz without a daisy chain i will pick up radio stations when i roll off my guitar pot. It does not work when i daisy chain it though. it can be quite interesting at times.

• Members

this is why i like fulltone products... With the OCD at least you can plug whatever adapter you want into i think and if it doesn't like it the pedal will just refuse to use it.
So you could plug a positive ground adapter in and it would just safely not power up.
FYI i use a one spot and only problems i have is daisy chains don't like fuzz... adds lots of noise. Problem can be solved a little if i turn the gain down though.

kind of misused terminology, because whatever you plug the adapter in to determines the ground. If you mixed pedals like that with your OCD, and the power supply doesn't smoke, it's not because of something in the OCD. It's probably some rudimentary protection against overcurrent in the PS.

• Members

I think what happens with the 1 spot is if unused power jacks touch a pedal the positive outer barrel grounds out on the pedal and causes power drops/surges or something which can {censored} with/blow up pedals. They should ship it with little caps to cover the unused ends.

the malekko 616 I have does seem picky about power supplies, two of the "wall wart" type ones I have don't work with it, the lights come on but nothing happens. My one spot works perfectly with it.

Archived