Germanium, how does that work?

companyman

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Serious response: They tend to be quite dynamic. Good with volume rollback and pick attack. At higher gains, they get a bit fuzzy. Also, they have a generally warmer sound. Overall, they kinda respond the way tubes do.

now we're getting somewhere! Thanks!

• Members

my experience with germanium fuzzes is that the splat effect is more pronounced depending on the circuit. fuzz faces, whther Si or Ge, have that almost as a feature, and it gets exaggerated when pushed with another gain source. Tonebenders compress a bit more gracefully, and dont lend themselves to that limiting effect as much. I'd be interested in hearing the change the Ge trans will have on a muff circuit.

• Members

my experience with germanium fuzzes is that the splat effect is more pronounced depending on the circuit. fuzz faces, whther Si or Ge, have that almost as a feature, and it gets exaggerated when pushed with another gain source. Tonebenders compress a bit more gracefully, and dont lend themselves to that limiting effect as much. I'd be interested in hearing the change the Ge trans will have on a muff circuit.

cool, thanks for the info, I have no experience with germanium fuzz, but I'm kind of interested in the EHX Germanium OD, from what I have gathered it can get a little splatty, minus the sustain, which intrigues me for rhythm parts. The Germanium Big Muff looks really interesting, especially because I saw it is going for under a hundred bucks!

• Members

From what I heard the only thing about the Ge Muff that is anythinglike a big muff is the name.

this is not a problem for me, in my experience Big Muffs are not very effective in a band situation....thus my love for the Double Muff, it sits very well in a band mix, I'm hoping the Germanium Big Muff is closer to a Double Muff than an actual Big Muff Pi :idk:

• Members

For a while I bought into the Germanium hype. I thought Si Fuzzes were inferior to Ge because the supply of good Ge transistors is waning, so Ge must be better, right?!?. In the end, I realized that neither is better but they are different. If you want a looser, bassier, sound GE is the way to go, if you want tighter, higher-gain then Si is the best bet.

All that said, my Analogman NKT-275 SunFace is the BEST fuzz I've ever played, but my Fulltone '70 is amazing too.

Archived