Boss DM-1/MXR M-118 Delay

• Members

So I'm after one of those glorious analog delay pedals with the Reticon R5101 CCD in it, but I wonder if it's worth it? I've read that the R5101 will fail, but I've only heard about it failing in MXR pedals. I know it sounds costly, difficult, time consuming, and maybe pointless but I'm considering getting an old MXR M-118 just to salvage the R5101 so I can build a clone of the Boss DM-1. However, is the MXR M-118 just as good/similar to the Boss DM-1? Will the chip fail no matter what pedal it's in?

Also, anyone ever come across a Boss DB-5 Driver? I think they've got a RC3403A (not RC3403AB) IC in them, wouldn't mind trying to clone that either. Thanks for any info.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I had a Blue DOD 680 Analog Delay with the R5101 in it. Very very dirty repeats and from what I read it was very similar to the MXR delay with the same chip(unsure of name). I really like it but I couldn't keep it, felt like a ticking bomb to me, I mean Im paranoid enough already.

So I ebay'd it, cashed in on like 80 extra bucks and bought a DMM with the extra cash. At least those are repairable if they break(which ironically it did :facepalm:)

If I had some extra money and not gassing for anything Id probably look into getting one of those again just for kicks.

~Aaron

• Members

So I'm after one of those glorious analog delay pedals with the Reticon R5101 CCD in it, but I wonder if it's worth it? I've read that the R5101 will fail, but I've only heard about it failing in MXR pedals. I know it sounds costly, difficult, time consuming, and maybe pointless but I'm considering getting an old MXR M-118 just to salvage the R5101 so I can build a clone of the Boss DM-1. However, is the MXR M-118 just as good/similar to the Boss DM-1? Will the chip fail no matter what pedal it's in?

Also, anyone ever come across a Boss DB-5 Driver? I think they've got a RC3403A (not RC3403AB) IC in them, wouldn't mind trying to clone that either. Thanks for any info.

yes the chip is likely to fail due to age and while it provides dark repeats they are not a well thought of as say a dm-2 or even a space echo :poke:

• Members

I see, so it's not just the MXR that would fail. The DM-2 is actually considered a better Delay pedal? Interesting. I haven't actually heard the a DM-1, but I know Alex Turner of Arctic Monkeys uses one (along with a CE-1). A clone might be too risky and expensive I suppose. I wonder if it's worth trying to clone the R5101 chip at all.. Thanks for all the responses by the way.

• Members

I see, so it's not just the MXR that would fail. The DM-2 is actually considered a better Delay pedal? Interesting. I haven't actually heard the a DM-1, but I know Alex Turner of Arctic Monkeys uses one (along with a CE-1). A clone might be too risky and expensive I suppose. I wonder if it's worth trying to clone the R5101 chip at all.. Thanks for all the responses by the way.

it would be very difficult to clone the chip to the best of my knowledge there isn't that much documentation on it

Personally just picking up the mood from what I have read (and owning one now and more in the past) the DM-2 is considered to have very "musical" dark repeats with the artifacting like other similar delays from that generation like the ibanez ones

also read this

• Members

Right, but if I had a copy of the chip, aside from risking ruining it, I might be able to make a schematic of it at least?

Hmm, I have the chance to pick up a very used MXR M-118 for $140, with the R5101 chip in it. All that's done is make me more curious. It seems people have been trying to find a replacement/copy of this chip for awhile, but I guess the interest is just at cult level.

• Members

Well, I figure taking a look at the chip would be a good start, but of course.. I forgot about that, haha. It doesn't hurt to try though.

It's about time someone figures this stuff out though and makes a quality analog delay pedal like the DM-1 & M-118. The only other pedal I can think of that would be good is an original Deluxe Memory Man.

• Members

It's about time someone figures this stuff out though and makes a quality analog delay pedal like the DM-1 & M-118. The only other pedal I can think of that would be good is an original Deluxe Memory Man.

Wat? There are plenty of good analogue delays on the market. I've never heard of anyone speaking fondly of the Boss DM-1 or the green MXR delay. As Seif has pointed out, they're noisy and crap next to a Mn3005 based delay, so why bother?

• Members

Really? My knowledge in effects is lacking.. as well as my taste, haha. I'm glad I started this thread now.
:)

I suppose once you get on a hunt for something, or for a project, it's hard to change your perspective.

I can understand that. Best of luck to you :thu:

I also have a 1986 Boss DS-1

• Members

Thanks. Yeah, I like my DS-1, but since I got the Coopersonic Valveslapper I just don't need it. I think Boss pedals get slighted a bit, even some of the older ones. There is so much hype around pedals (not that I don't buy in at times obviously), I wish there was more information available about them.

• Members

this is probably not what you want to hear, but when I demo'd the new EHX Memory Boy I remember thinking the repeats were very much like my ancient DOD/MXR delays you are referencing... it is worth looking at some new options that are close enough for live/gig applications...

• Members

Thanks hangwire. So you're talking about the basic EHX Memory Boy? Not the deluxe or anything like that? I've heard one of those original blue box EHX Deluxe Memory Man and that sounded great. Honestly, I'm open to all possibilities, I guess I just want to find something that is close in warmess and quality to the Boss DM-1/MXR M-118.

• Members

here are all the pics i took, some are better than others as you can see http://www.megaupload.com/?d=PWW1188R

the two ICs inside read

RC3403ADB

RAYT7733

and

RC3403ADB

RAYP7729

whatever that means

interesting that there's a trimpot inside, didn't the original superfuzz pedals have a trimpot inside to control the amount of octave up? i didn't touch it because it's sounding BRUTAL as it is

also kinda neat that there's an extra hole in the surface for another pot, which is covered by the face plate, makes sense to use the exact same enclosures as with the ce-1

if you could clone this pedal that would be awesome, i don't know why nobody has done this yet, it's a totally unique octave fuzz sound

anyway i gotta wash my hands, that pedal is just as filthy inside as it sounds :thu:

Archived