Getting New Pick Ups for My Brithday...

JMR

• Members

I'm getting new pick ups for my Fender Toronado for my birthday.

I've got some ideas of what I want, but I'm not sure.

I play an assortment of genres, but mostly I play post-rock, emotive hardcore, progressive/experimental/whatever, post-punk and I attempt to play some jazzy stuff. I occasionally like to play some blues or classic rock, etc. The lowest tuning I ever go to on a regular basis is D standard.

(I'm going to get them from GFS more than likely)

• Members

Mean 90 neck-

Crunchy PAT Bridge-

I'm ordering this set up this week, hopefully have all my parts in this weekend. For the cost you can't really go wrong trying anything out though. I decided on the Crunchy PAT because its runs at a hot 14k.

• Members

bump... my birthday is tomorrow!

I'm thinking dream 180 neck with a mean 90 bridge right now. I love a bridge that has some low mids to it, and the mean 90 has that. The dream 180 has a mix between a p90 sound and the sound of a retrotron type deal, and I want some of that jangle there.

MY problem with my current pick ups is the lack of clarity and definition. Overall a very flat sound to me. The bridge is too bright without enough lows for me.

• Members

I don't play p90s but i love the sound they produce. I ordered some vintage specials from Jason Lollar for my tele because he suggested if i like p90 sound to get those. I know in some circles he's the P90 KING. I would check out his site and look at the different P90 pickups he has to offer. His pickups have turned my tele into a pretty fantastic sounding guitar. His overwound p90s are most likely killer.

Lollar P90s

• Members

bump... my birthday is tomorrow!

I'm thinking dream 180 neck with a mean 90 bridge right now. I love a bridge that has some low mids to it, and the mean 90 has that. The dream 180 has a mix between a p90 sound and the sound of a retrotron type deal, and I want some of that jangle there.

MY problem with my current pick ups is the lack of clarity and definition. Overall a very flat sound to me. The bridge is too bright without enough lows for me.

It's more of a PAF and a retrotron. It has clarity/definition but I don't think it will be the greatest neck pickup. It's a little hot. SILENT pickup though, no hum/microphonics.

If you're looking for some jangle, why not just get one of their retrotrons for the neck? They're HB sized. The Memphis seems to sound the best out of that series.

I was having a hard time deciding between the Memphis, the Mean 90 and the Dream 180 sets.

I ended up Dream 180 bridge/Mean 90 neck. Sounds great! I might stick the Dream 180 in a different guitar and go double Mean 90 but I'm not sure.

The surf 90 was never an option with my guitar, as they don't have gold and I don't like the way they look with a 335 anyway, but it might be a great choice for you! Mean 90 bridge/Surf 90 neck.

Archived