Direct-Out Rig for under $200?

cobalt-60

• Members

I'm looking for a cheap little rig to route to my computer and a PA for under $200. I'm both broke, and like the idea of having a compact set-up. I haven't had a chance to try it in person, but so far a used RP-500 is towering over the competition. The only draw back is the thing is a monster, and it really doesn't need to be (if only it came in a m9 case!).

Needs

Under $200

The alternative is to get something like a Sansamp, and some Behringer/Arion/Dano stomps, but I like the economy of the multi-FX. I also really like the UK 25 setting on the Vox VT-15. That has a decent controller, but then I'm tied to an amp, and I don't get any of the cool FX.

• Members

You're not going to find better in your price range.

Also, with Line 6 you have to stay away from the super high gain patches and you HAVE to use the graphic EQ. The type of thing you're looking for is going to be a tweaker and it's going to take time to get really good sounds.

• Members

You're not going to find better in your price range.

Also, with Line 6 you have to stay away from the super high gain patches and you HAVE to use the graphic EQ. The type of thing you're looking for is going to be a tweaker and it's going to take time to get really good sounds.

Dude, tell me about it. I use POD farm a lot, but I got a better setting out of the Vox VT-15 in like, 45 seconds. Have you tried the new Digitech models?

I must say, the FX on the XT Live look mighty tasty. It's the dirt I worry about.

• Members

Modelers are a pain in the ass when it comes to tweaking. The Vox stuff is a bit more 'natural' sounding on the dirt side, from my experience.

Have you tried the Tonelab ST? I've only used the older (blue) Tonelab stuff which is pretty good, but the ST is $200 new. It doesn't have all the footswitching functionality though.

• Members

Modelers are a pain in the ass when it comes to tweaking. The Vox stuff is a bit more 'natural' sounding on the dirt side, from my experience.

Have you tried the Tonelab ST? I've only used the older (blue) Tonelab stuff which is pretty good, but the ST is $200 new. It doesn't have all the footswitching functionality though.

That was the deal killer, unfortunately. If I'm getting a multi-FX I want to be able to switch around complicated, totally different patches instantly during song. Also, not nearly as many cool FX. I've considered it though.

• Members
That was the deal killer, unfortunately. If I'm getting a multi-FX I want to be able to switch around complicated, totally different patches instantly during song. Also, not nearly as many cool FX. I've considered it though.

You might be able to find a used Tonelab SE in that price range if you're lucky. The issue is that you NEVER see them come up for sale.

Vox_Tonelab_SE_guitar_Pedal.jpg

• Members
I have a friends that have used the POD into the ART mic preamp before. They really liked it and said it warmed up the sound. It's only $30 too.

art_tubemp_studio-472c1d2c88ef48e332978c

That's a cool little preamp. My buddy used to use one for his bass.

• Members

I'll look into that pre-amp. For $30 it's worth it to get a little soul in there.

You might be able to find a used Tonelab SE in that price range if you're lucky. The issue is that you NEVER see them come up for sale.

I might. That thing is such a giant {censored}ing beast though. Yikes. I imagine it sounds balla, yes? How are the modulations and delays?

Yeash, why can't they put useful switches on the smaller ones? All I need is three scenes. Then, if they made it so you stomped a selected scene and it played a secondary patch.... woah. :eek::facepalm:

Do any of these designers play songs?

• Members
I'll look into that pre-amp. For $30 it's worth it to get a little soul in there.

I might. That thing is such a giant {censored}ing beast though. Yikes. I imagine it sounds balla, yes? How are the modulations and delays?

Yeash, why can't they put useful switches on the smaller ones? All I need is three scenes. Then, if they made it so you stomped a selected scene and it played a secondary patch.... woah.
:eek::facepalm:

Do any of these designers play songs?

Talk to this guy:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/member.php?u=62978

Archived