Are the Tech 21 Sansamp Character Series any good?

kirs

• Members

Looking for a Marshall-ish tone for direct recording and these pedals seem to be better than the digital alternatives. Anyone have experience with these boxes. Would I be better off with a GT2 or another Tech 21 pedal?

• Members

I've heard they're ok. Not sure how close to a Marshall tone you'd get though. You won't beat the real thing with a pedal of course.

What I especially don't like about them is they're not good at cleans, but if your not going for that then.....maybe it would work for ya.

I've heard some people recommend GuitarRig for Marshall tones.

• Members

For the sound you're going for, I'd grab the Sansamp British. I think they do a great job for performing and recording direct. I use a Liverpool regularly (which is the Vox version of their character series), and am REALLY happy with the tones I'm getting. I also used it quite a bit on my last CD - it responds really well with my overdrive pedals, and my guitar volume and attack. I've used the Liverpool and California, which both do clean and dirty really well. I haven't tried the British, so I don't know how well it does on the different sounds, but if it is anything like the ones I've tried, I'd think it should be great.

You could grab the GT2 or Tri-AC, but I think the character series has more, well, character, and can dial a wider variety of sounds with adjustments to the mid, character and drive knobs.

You can do a youtube search for it... burgerman666 does some really good demos of them.

• Members

Yea man... check out the youtube demos, especially those by Burgerman666.

I've had the California and the Blonde, and I'm currently on the hunt for a Liverpool and/or a Leeds. Especially for direct stuff you're really not gonna find anything better with the exception of the Axe Fx, but that's in a whole different category considering the price...

• Members
Yeah, the demos are good, but Sadie rocks!
:)
Thanks for all the demos - of course it all fuels the GAS, but so fun to watch.

Haha! Sadie has largely thrown in the towel, sadly. She's had her day in the sun and now just wants to get on with being 8. Maybe I can entice her back to the screen soon, but it will take the pinkest or purplest pedal in the world..:lol:

• Members

after watching some of burg's demos I decided to invest in a liverpool to use at church to plug in direct into the house PA and it sounds awesome! idk what the above poster was talking about, but the cleans (on the liverpool at least) are perfectly fine...honestly, it sounded more like an ac30 to me than my ac30cc1 did. well worth it if you are thinking about going ampless!

• Members

Southpaw - I just realized that it was you that I traded my California too - and I was thinking the same thing about your comment about it earlier. I ended up keeping the blonde thinking it would be better for cleans and running pedals into it, but if I had to do it again, I totally would have kept the California. Great cleans and the ability to get some great higher gain tones. I hope you're enjoying it as much as I did, which it sounds like you are b/c you've recorded with it.

I'm actually hoping to get a Liverpool or Leeds as a clean base for pedals. I'd like to know if anyone has done this with the Leeds.

• Members

Yep, it's me. I really like the Cali - sounds really sweet, and has a good contrast to the Liverpool. I hadn't realized how relatively middy the Liverpool was until comparing the two. My Liverpool with a transparent od sounds about the same as the Cali with a TS. I found it quite interesting.

• Members
Yep, it's me. I really like the Cali - sounds really sweet, and has a good contrast to the Liverpool. I hadn't realized how relatively middy the Liverpool was until comparing the two. My Liverpool with a transparent od sounds about the same as the Cali with a TS. I found it quite interesting.

have you tried eq'ing the liverpool to be less middy? what was the result?

I ended up selling the blonde too because I compared it against the Acoustic DI as a clean basis for going direct with dirt pedals, and what I found was they weren't that different :idea:

Honestly speaking, the blonde was a bit better and more versatile for different types of clean, but I saw a guy on TGP who really wanted a blonde, so I decided to sell it. I've been really interested in the Liverpool b/c I've heard it's so good with other OD pedals, and I would hope that it would be a rather drastic contrast to the Acoustic DI. I was kinda hoping I would get one and could add enough bass and cut the mids so that it wouldn't sound so middy, so of course I'd love to hear your review of that. However, the Leeds has really caught my attention because people are saying it's really dynamic, and of course everyone knows that Hiwatt does got some seriously good clean tones...

• Members

Yeah, I've tried to pull the mids back, but it really affected the other aspects of the sound. I really like it like it is though - and yeah, it is a big contrast from the acoustic DI cleans. Lots of character to the tone. I prefer a more transparent od into it, for playing live. When recording direct though, I actually prefered the TS.

I guess it's kind of hard to know until you try it out with your specific guitar and pedals etc...

Archived