Underage EU doods: Hamburg vs Utrecht?

Lemmings

• Members

Cool, thanks. Anything specific that stood out?

I personally like Germany better than The Netherlands. And having been to those places with misterstomach when he was there, we definitely had out best times in Hamburg. A lot more going on, bigger city, a bit cheaper, better beer(if that's your thing. It's ok to drink beer in Germany at 16, I believe). There's a great venue there called Hafenklang you should check out if you opt for Hamburg.

• Members

Sounds cool. I think the university in Hamburg is probably more highly regarded than Utrecht, but it might be harder to get in to. Its in a sweet building as well.

bucerius_1.JPG

I should probably clarify that i'm not actually underage, so availability of good beer, music scene etc is a definite consideration.

What about language? Can you get by alright with just English? Are the locals generally friendly?

• Members

Either place is OK with English. Utrecht would probably be easier, as the Dutch are really good with English. They're also very friendly. But the Germans are friendly, too. And in Hamburg, English is common enough. In my experience, you'll have an easier time picking up some conversational German compared to Dutch, though.

More shows roll through Hamburg, for sure. There are some cool, cheap punk bars, too.

• Members

I haven't been to Utrecht yet, but I'm living in Hamburg and it's one of the best "major cities" in Europe to live in imo:

-Hamburg is a beautiful city architecture-vise, with a lot of very "cosy" quaters. In the summer it is very green, many parks and a lot of vegetation everywhere (as opposite to Paris f.e.)

-There are a lot of nice concert venues with good shows (+1 on the Hafenklang, that's a great club)

-The university isn't the best in Germany academically but it's fairly big so you've good a good chance meeting good people (about 40.000 Students, although the photo you've posted doesn't show the official university buildings, maybe it's a private one?)

-There are two quarters near the town center that are what you could call "alternative" with a lot of bars and clubs and compared with Paris or London the dishes and the bear aren't that expensive (Beer about 2

• Members

Yeah, the picture is of Bucerius, which is separate from Hamburg University.

I'll be there from July - January, so it will probably be beautifully sunny when I arrive, and get increasingly cold and depressing as the semester goes on.

One more thing, does it have a reasonably good train / transport network? I'd really like to spend some time in other countries and other parts of Germany while i'm over there. I know that Hamburg is quite far north, but it it well connected?

• Members

As a Belgian, I'd choose Germany instead of The Netherlands.

As said before, a lot of bands do a show in Hamburg when they're touring in Europe. The only reason why you could prefer Utrecht over Hamburg is the legal weed.

I don't know how good the train/transport network is in Germany or Holland, but it's not good in Belgium. There are a lot of train stations and stops, but trains are more often late than on time...

• Members

Big +1 on Hamburg. Delay mentioned all the important points. Except I don't find Hamburg anymore depressing in winter than any other city I've been to. If it's a real cold winter, the Alster lake freezes over and you get a massive ice area right in the city.

Beat that

1562354784-alster.9.jpg

• Members

I don't know how good the train/transport network is in Germany or Holland, but it's not good in Belgium. There are a lot of train stations and stops, but trains are more often late than on time...

Then don't go to Holland :lol:. Seriously, I've never had problems in Belgium but the dutch train accuracy is just lol-worthy

• Members

Utrecht it is! :lol:

Seriously though Hamburg looks awesome. It will definitely be my first choice, but the placements are all based on GPA so I really need to do awesomely this semester to have a chance.

I just found out that the university has an epic mansion / villa that you can live in. Might just be for masters students though.

http://www.bucerius-event.de/wohnen.html?&L=0%2F

Are you guys renting at the moment? How much should I expect to pay for a decent place to stay. The university is in the St Pauli / Rotherbaum area.

• Members

I live in Utrecht.

It's a great city. I definitely wouldn't trade for Hamburg.

First off, the University is pretty good. Recently elected best in the country, so better than both universities in Amsterdam. I guess it still depends on what you're going to study though.

The great thing about Utrecht is that it's a large city to dutch standards but it is much more social than any other city I've been to.

You'll bump into someone you know every five minutes.

Also, Utrecht has the highest concentration of students in the Netherlands. The student-scene is a really cool subculture. Most students don't go out on saturday night, but on wednesday or thursday. On these nights you'll never see a fight in the clubs or on the street.

So Utrecht is basically a big city with a bit of a small town mentality. I love that.

Archived