My Gear Shakedown (I was surprised w/ the results)

rileykill

• Members

So, I finally had a gear shakedown. I bought a new guitar and needed to pay it off and, really, I just had way too much stuff on my board. It was getting complicated to switch pedals on the fly while singing.

The impetus was this Strat. I walked into South Austin Music and I just knew it had to be mine. So sexy.

IMG_7083.jpg

Here's the stuff I pulled off the board.

IMG_7077.jpg

And here is the board now. I A/B'd and rearranged pedals for hours and these are the ones that stuck. I was surprised. I decided to go back to something I was doing years ago and use a dimed Micro Amp to drive my tubes for a "base" sound. Of all my dirt pedals, the stock Blues Driver was by far the best sounding overdrive with my setup. Go figure. I'm using the Pulse Machine with the intensity way down as a solo boost. It sounds wicked :love: -- all in all, it was a learning experience to say the least. Not a very "HC" board but there you go. :idk: I played a show with the new setup this weekend and got a lot of compliments and am really happy with the results.

IMG_7080.jpg

• Members

It's a 98 Strat Plus I think? Those are the Lace Sensors they were using. I have pretty hot pickups in my other Strat and those are more quiet. That guitar is stock.

The Digilog is a delay. I hate to drop the Holy Grail but it was big and needed another wall wart to not be noisy. The other guitar player in my band plays kinda "wet" and I play more dry. Also, I can get a really odd/cool sounding reverb using a low 300ms setting on the Digilog.

• Members

I love lace sensors. I have a custom shop set in mine from the early 2000s and the neck pickup is still one of my favorite neck pickups ever.

lace sensors are also some of the best pickups I've found to play through fuzz pedals for some reason.

• Members

It's a great pedal. I liked it best of the muffs I have played (Little Big Muff, NYC Muff & Big Muff TW) but I don't need a heavy fuzz. The Micro Amp plus Blues Driver plus Pulse Machine turned way up is a heavy sound as-is. It really makes the amp roar. When I added a Muff on top it sounded like mush.

I wish I could keep most of those pedals for recording and stuff but I need to pay off the guitar. I still owe like $300 ... but Bill at South Austin let me take the guitar anyway. I need to pay him. :cry:

I trimmed it down to nothing extra whatsoever.

Archived