NY Muff, Russian Muff, Woolly Mammoth, which one for stoner metal?

lukeswall

• Members

Yeah man, the Russian Muff won't be as scooped as the NYC, but it's still not the best to cut through with in a band. Before I got the Beast, I used a black russian for years. In a three piece band it worked fine, but it got a little weak when adding another guitarist. To counteract that, I would run a Rat or a Tubescreamer before it.

Nice avatar by the way.

• Members

I have to agree that if you are looking for Mids than a Big Muff (regardless of the version) won't be the right choice. However, you could add an EQ and boost the Mid-Range or have it modd'd for such.

As for the Wooly Mammoth. IDK. I've heard both sides of the argument that it sounds great or like !@#$ on guitar. Plus, it seems to have the Fuzz Factory thing going on just darker.

• Members

Jeez, this did slip a bit out of hand, dindn't it?

If you have to use a pedal, and you want to have mids, there are some cheaper options available:

Just get a rat and dime all the knobs: totally in the stoner territoy with mids for reasonable price.

Or put a cheap-ass eq pedal behind the muff and shape it the way you want.

AND THIS: To sound good, you'll have to dime the amp - you'll have to move some air for the oomph. A 4x12 cabinet is sufficent.

Personally, I didn't like the w.m. for guitar but maybe you should just give it a try.

I'm just trying to be helpful, kay? :)

• Members

3 great pedals, but which one do you think would be better suited for some stoner action? I like mids, BTW.

this friend of mine has them and wants to unload, that's why I'm being specific. I know there are other great fuzzes out there, but they're completely out of my budget.

If those 3 are your only options, then I would get the Woolly Mammoth. It might actually be perfect for stoner rock anyway, since it has so much low end. And it should have more mids than either muff. I wouldn't normally recommend it, simply because I haven't played one, but I've heard people rave about it for heavy riffs, so it seems like it would be great for stoner stuff. I have played the two muffs. The NYC is a good pedal, but it's not what you're looking for. The Russian might be somewhat closer to what you want, but really it isn't that much different from the NYC.

• Members

If those 3 are your only options, then I would get the Woolly Mammoth. It might actually be perfect for stoner rock anyway, since it has so much low end. And it should have more mids than either muff. I wouldn't normally recommend it, simply because I haven't played one, but I've heard people rave about it for heavy riffs, so it seems like it would be great for stoner stuff. I have played the two muffs. The NYC is a good pedal, but it's not what you're looking for. The Russian might be somewhat closer to what you want, but really it isn't that much different from the NYC.

Look! A useful post in this thread! Yay!

• Members

While I find mids can be scooped on thee two muffs you mentioned, if you know how to use a soldering iron that could be fixed. remember you also have a mids knob on your amp... *gasp!*

That being said, I would try the wooly mammoth, and if you don't like it, flip it, and buy a muff with a mid knob. Like the musket, or the supercollider.

• Members
you know, I'm looking more for an insight in how different those pedals are and all. as I said, I don't have other options with my budget.

If you can afford a Wooly Mammoth, you have plenty of other options with your budget. :facepalm:

http://www.pedalgeek.com/cgi-bin/new_shop.cgi?config=&uid=gLTgywAA1284216064&command=link--zvwm

$359 :facepalm:

Archived