work-in-progress DIY looper/glitcher

tape

• Members
Yeah! I listened to your new clip a few times and it sounds so sick! That's exactly the kind of glitching that I want to accomplish. I was totally thinking about setting sample points and doing some primitive granular manipulation.

We need mroe effects with granular stuff, for sure!

Last night I got it to do some super glitchy time-stretching. :love: It sounds so rad! I could stretch the 3-second loop to 30 seconds with no "pitch down", though with major s-s-s-s-t-t-t-u-u-utter artifacts. Love it!

Tonight I'll attempt to add another RAM chip to double the loop time.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

so itll be like 3/4 seconds maximum?

and will you make em?

I don't know yet on the maximum. Certainly at least 3 seconds, but it might only be 3 in the end as well. Tonight I'll attempt at doubling it.

If I make them, it wont be for a long time (next year, easily), as I need to catch up on building other pedals.

• Members

oh man that sounds fun. there's an app for the ds that does some similar mangling, but this could be super useful. :hmm: almost like the squarewave tsp...but possibly obtainable...

repeaterDS? I have that, love it! and yes a bit like that (and more)

Looking at my past track record, I doubt this looper of mine will be as obtainable as the teaspoon. I dont want to bring people's hopes up too much. I think I may realistically build half a dozen over the course of next year, but no promises.

• Members
repeaterDS? I have that, love it! and yes a bit like that (and more)

Looking at my past track record, I doubt this looper of mine will be as obtainable as the teaspoon. I dont want to bring people's hopes up too much. I think I may realistically build half a dozen over the course of next year, but no promises.

I can't remember if repeaterDS does reverse...but I use it to annoy neighbors all the time. :D I think proteinDS is a decent step up from repeater -- just a bit more flexible.

don't work too hard! take a vacation, yo. ;)

• Members

that software is pretty cool too, kind of wish had a ds now

Some friends of mine formed a band who play DS's exclusevly (through pedals anyway). After 2 years, they're doign pretty well for themselves now! TV/radio appearences, and they're opening for Atari Teenage Riot next month!

http://www.myspace.com/montrealnintendoorkestar

Lot of fu nto be had in these little machines.

• Members

You're seriously the most creative guy on here, as far as pedal design goes. If people were on your level, you could probably make pedals for a living. Sucks that people aren't creative enough to provide a stable sales market, but it's still awesome that you make the stuff. Tape FTW.

I'm not so sure about that. It depends on what you mean by a "living". The guy who runs squarewave parade generally puts his stuff up on auctions and doesn't flood the market with a massive supply. This drives the prices to a point where he can live off it, as he has limited his overhead and living expenses.

Mario from Robot Pedal Factory makes pretty much exclusively weird stuff and he makes a living doing this too.

• Members

I've done plenty of calculations of "how many of X pedals do I need to sell a month to live almost as comfortably as I do now". it often meant tacking on an extra 25% on the price tag, though, which I'm not super comfortable with.

the cheaper easier pedals (bitcrusher, vibrato) would remain at around their current $140-$150 mark while the larger more complex ones (hollow earth, and potentially this looper) would get a hike.

• Members

I've done plenty of calculations of "how many of X pedals do I need to sell a month to live almost as comfortably as I do now". it often meant tacking on an extra 25% on the price tag, though, which I'm not super comfortable with.

the cheaper easier pedals (bitcrusher, vibrato) would remain at around their current $140-$150 mark while the larger more complex ones (hollow earth, and potentially this looper) would get a hike.

I really want to start learning more DIY pedal stuff and hopefully gain a rudimentary knowledge base in electrical engineering and programming that will allow me to create some of my weirder ideas I

• Members

I wish I lived in close proximity so I could help you pump out pedals for these masses. Would be a good time.

Honestly, ditto. I would love to be a trained monkey for awhile and assist builders that made cool {censored}. Once I learned enough I'd start building too.

Tape, where did you get started with this stuff?

• Members

I

those are both sick pedals, and the looper is way rad. i dont mind those prices at all, but the waiting list is a downer for me. If you wait too long, the desire for the pedal may pass too

how long is your waiting list?

• Members

I spent a good 5 hours last night trying to get extra memory working and didn't get anywhere. I'll try some more ways this evening but it seems like I'm maxed-out.

3-seconds was a guestimate based on the highest fidelity it can muster (which is also pretty low), but one could quite a bit longer by dialing down the fidelity on the "delay time" knob. You could dial-in ten seconds but it'll be pretty swampy and low-rez. Part of the point I guess, hmm....

those are both sick pedals, and the looper is way rad. i dont mind those prices at all, but the waiting list is a downer for me. If you wait too long, the desire for the pedal may pass too

how long is your waiting list?

yeah waiting lists are a downer, but as long as I'm working on another full-time job and have at least part of a life, they can't be helped. I build stuff for myself most of the time, andoccasionally if something peaks enough interests I consider making a bunch. but the wait can't be helped.

• Members

I spent a good 5 hours last night trying to get extra memory working and didn't get anywhere. I'll try some more ways this evening but it seems like I'm maxed-out.

3-seconds was a guestimate based on the highest fidelity it can muster (which is also pretty low), but one could quite a bit longer by dialing down the fidelity on the "delay time" knob. You could dial-in ten seconds but it'll be pretty swampy and low-rez. Part of the point I guess, hmm....

yeah waiting lists are a downer, but as long as I'm working on another full-time job and have at least part of a life, they can't be helped. I build stuff for myself most of the time, andoccasionally if something peaks enough interests I consider making a bunch. but the wait can't be helped.

yeH, I understand but looks great. good work!

• 4 weeks later...

Archived