your opinion on Radiohead?

RadioSilence

• Members

Interesting point about getting more people listening to electronic music, but I think in many ways it's the wrong introduction and has maybe led to more subdued electronic acts getting the limelight in some regards(or indie bands with electronic elements, rather).

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
I don't know any chicks who like Radiohead
:idk:
My wife won't let me play their records when she's around.
:cry:
, my sisters don't like them, nor my colleagues.

Most dudes I know at least have an appreciation for them. The ones who don't tend to like bouncy or funky music. Radiohead is the antithesis of bouncy and funky. They're like angry astronaut music.

playing street spirit on guitar is like the easiest way to get into a girls pants

• Members

After OK Computer, I lost interest. The Bends is brilliant.

this. Even the most of their output at the time were brilliant. Wait..wait...some of the stuff In Rainbows were written around this period too.

When the world caught up with their brilliance...well...there's not much to go when you're on top. Gravity tends to kick in.

• Members
playing street spirit on guitar is like the easiest way to get into a girls pants

LOL this absolutely works I swear to god :lol:

Her name was Carol btw :p

Idk if it was Street Spirit or Paranoid Android but hearing both in under ten minutes was just too much for the poor girl :cool:

• Members

It's sort of a love/hate relationship I have with Radiohead. My friend turned me on to them about 5 years ago when I started 10th grade. At first I couldn't really get into them. Had I not been surrounded by Radiohead fans ever since, I don't believe I would have.

They are all talented musicians and a bunch of their material is at least somewhat interesting. However, when Radiohead fans go on and praise some half-witted song, I can't help but point out the many flaws.

Radiohead and The Beatles are two bands that make me go schizo. I enjoy listening to them once in a while, but at the same time, they can't really make me go 'Wow'. Neither have written songs that I feel are driven by some sort of 'genius' I should be envious of.

Also, I have always been repulsed by their image. But I guess I like them, so that's what I checked.

• Members
Interesting point about getting more people listening to electronic music, but I think in many ways it's the wrong introduction and has maybe led to more subdued electronic acts getting the limelight in some regards(or indie bands with electronic elements, rather).

Isn't that the very essence of what is pop music though? You say subdued, but if we say 'watered down' instead that's what pop is - at the moment the big thing is a watered down version of urban music, in the same way that when electronic invades the popular music stations it is in that watered down fashion.

I mean I've got no problem with that because I can't take anything too hefty electronic wise but you have to commend Radiohead for doing what they did with Kid A. Although their effect on other bands (such as some elements of Bloc Party's Intimacy, for example) is negative, it's still a widening of view which is quite incredible.

Although saying that, the xx are the freshest thing making it big, at least in the UK, and their minimalist music you would think isn't very easy to swallow by the masses yet it is.

TL;DR who knows :confused::lol:

• Members

I voted 'indifferent', which isn't entirely true but it's the most accurate of the list. I do like some of the music and I daresay if I went out of my way to listen I might like it more. I think they've been very creative as a band, and they write great music.

I just wouldn't say that I 'like the band', only because I consider myself a fan of a band or artist only if I not only like most of the music, but A) like the music because of the artistic signature of the artist whose music it is, and B) feel some affinity with the band. For that reason I'm not a 'fan' by my own definition but they are undeniably great. :thu:

• Members

Tbf I think that's a fair point. I'm a super massive Radiohead fan because one of my earliest memories when I was 5 or so was in the car with my mother and she had just bought OK Computer and that was the first time I liked music and Radiohead was kinda drilled into my skull

But whilst that's how I get MY affinity with them, I don't know how others do quite the same. It's hard to judge but I'd guess if you were only coming to them as an adult they seem actively difficult to break into it - I guess that's why people don't like them

• Members

I think everything from OK Computer on is absolutely brilliant. Kid A and Amnesiac are seminal, profoundly important records for me. HTTF is a great summation of their sound and writing style. To me, In Rainbows is a glimpse of the band finally chilling the {censored} out a little bit, and developing a more straightforward/coherent sound, while still showing a great deal of thought and depth.

• Members
Isn't that the very essence of what is pop music though? You say subdued, but if we say 'watered down' instead that's what pop is - at the moment the big thing is a watered down version of urban music, in the same way that when electronic invades the popular music stations it is in that watered down fashion.

I mean I've got no problem with that because I can't take anything too hefty electronic wise but you have to commend Radiohead for doing what they did with Kid A. Although their effect on other bands (such as some elements of Bloc Party's Intimacy, for example) is negative, it's still a widening of view which is quite incredible.

Although saying that, the xx are the freshest thing making it big, at least in the UK, and their minimalist music you would think isn't very easy to swallow by the masses yet it is.

TL;DR who knows
:confused::lol:

Radiohead were an alternative rock band to start out with, they were a bit poppy but I'd hardly call them pop outright.

• Members

wonderful band. they've been less musically adventurous after amnesiac but i feel they're continuing to approach songwriting and working together in refreshing ways. i think i'm at a degree of exposure where i can see how apparent their influences are, and what's great is they're able to take all those sounds and ideas and make something unique, emotive and (i feel)sincere. i can see direct traces of a wide range of music but i get the impression it's more for exploration than for flash reasons or trying to be willfully challenging. i sometimes come back to them after long periods of not listening and realize they're still one of my favorite bands.

Archived