your opinion on Radiohead?

RadioSilence

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Not much of a fan, I just don't like the vocals at all, and that usually ruins it for me as far as how great a band is. I also hate the comparison of them being a modern Pink Floyd. {censored} that {censored}.

Yeah it's an insult to Radiohead

• Members

I've been a huge fan since The bends. I remember buying Pablo honey because of "Creep" and being very underwhelmed by everything except "Lurgee."

Then sometime in 1995, right around the time I started playing guitar, I saw an issue of Mojo with Jimmy Page on the cover. He was holding The bends in one hand and Jeff Buckley's Grace in the other so I bought those two albums not really expecting much. The opening notes of "Planet Telex" gave me goosebumps. I've looked forward to every album since and they have yet to disappoint me.

• Members

Brilliant band, and Thom Yorke's a legend.

I've had enough "His vocals are depressing and a put-off" from my dad to not be bothered by it, but recently said that Hail to the Thief is an excellent album (then proceeded to say Amnesiac is {censored}...because of Thom's vocals).

They're great, but I can understand why others would dislike hate them. Definitely not overrated though.

• Members

Really like them.

Don't enjoy the first two records at all (except "Just"), OK Computer is awesome, Kid A, Amnesiac have great songs, Hail To The Thief is great, In Rainbows was a bit of a let-down - I was expecting something, I dunno, more rock-like. Less mellow. But still, it's a good record. The stuff after that, not so much.

• Members

I like The Bends and OK Computer quite a lot, and some of their demos/b-siders from around that era. Johnny Greenwood's guitar is a big influence. I don't like the newer minimalist electronica type stuff for the most part. Hail to the Thief had some good tracks but not too many.

I think "New" Radiohead are over-rated and samey, but I still think they're a creative and cool band, just not one I'm interested in compared to how they used to be.

• Members
eh, they're pretty good for a chick band.

I don't know any chicks who like Radiohead :idk:
My wife won't let me play their records when she's around. :cry: , my sisters don't like them, nor my colleagues.

Most dudes I know at least have an appreciation for them. The ones who don't tend to like bouncy or funky music. Radiohead is the antithesis of bouncy and funky. They're like angry astronaut music.

• Members

I think the Pink Floyd comparison is unfair because Radiohead don't quite weird you out the same way - not that I dabble in it but I sense that Pink Floyd for their more experimental stuff one needs mind-altering substances, but with Radiohead there are no 24 minute songs. But I'm one of those Pink Floyd fans that other Pink Floyd fans hate, pretty much only Dark Side of the Moon pour moi and a few of the other 'hits'

I'm brought to the long bit of interviews in Meeting People is Easy when someone asks Colin about prog rock and he goes "we all HATE prog rock"

But anyway let's roll through the Radiohead discography with my take which I think most of the Radiohead fans will agree with anyway:

Pablo Honey - travesty

The Bends - a little worse for wear given the test of time but quite a few songs on there are incredible

OK Computer - easily one of the best albums of all time

Kid A - at times difficult to listen to but this is an album that played a huge part in making people listen to more electronic music. Taken on a whole album rather than track by track basis it is their best

Amnesiac - a little disjointed as a whole piece but with some stellar tracks

Hail to the Thief - the TRUE unsung hero. Like in that interview with Dave Fanning, there are too many tracks but some songs on there like Sail to the Moon, Scatterbrain and 2+2=5 are incredible. This album is like a best of Radiohead, picking and choosing everything from straight rock to the more avant garde

In Rainbows - my personal favourite, the most personal, touching, harrowing album I've heard in a while. The run from Nude to Reckoner remains the very peak of music and one I fear shall not be touched for a long time

My very long 2 cents.

Archived