Solid State Connoisseurs

RUExp?

• Members

I use Yamaha G100i heads and combos for the bridge p'up (I use a Roland Studio Bass 100 for the neck p'up) Loud as all hell and a lot less 'sterile' than a JC, in my opinion. Clean all the way to 11. Takes all the pedals that i throw at them.

I find that the volume on the Randall dials in too much gain for my liking. I set it at like, 1 to 2 and crank the master. Clean all the way on the Yamahas (no master)

Having said that, the Randalls look way cooler and isn't that half of what rock n roll is all about ? :cool:

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I recently got an Acoustic 270 head and it rules big time.

Been running it into a wimpy 1x12" cab with a Celestion G12H-100 (8 Ohm) in it and it sounds fantastic for both guitar and bass.

Loud, clean, warm, punchy. Awesome Jazz tones with my Tele's neck humbucker! :love:

The reverb kind of sucks (huge volume drop), but the Tremolo goes from subtle Fender-warble to chopchopchop and the Fuzz, although more of a distortion, sounds nice when you have it dialed in properly.

I have an old Peavey Scorpion speaker (8 Ohm) from the 80s lying around that handles a whopping 200 watts and was thinking about getting a 2x12" cab to put it and the Celestion in. That should theoretically work in terms of power handling (270 watts at 4 Ohm), right?

• Members

I had a rehearsal with a drummer today - my Cube 80X sounded really good. I think there might be something odd going on with the channel switching since I the solo channel does not want to turn on when I stomp the footswitch. Hmm, I wonder what the cause might be.

• Members

Sooo, I bought that Randall Commander II and it doesn't seem that loud.
:idk:
Like, I'd say it's about as loud as a SS 60 watt 1x12. I dunno, maybe I'm going deaf or jaded to loudness. Otherwise, pretty decent sounding amp and it's in immaculate shape..

SO, I cleaned it up and resoldered one of the speaker leads and plugged a guitar in rather than a bass (it's all I had at the time) and this thing is raping my eardrums.

Archived