DCOs vs. VCOs: Which is better?

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

:wave:

And in response to your VCO post...

The divocitue of the capitulator is diversified by the addition of the amplitube of the oscilaters proportional verticulation. When this ampliocity reaches the null, it creates a wavilation in the oscilations perpituity which negates the voltages inspericliilitatedness. If you counter that with the fillitation of the waves harmonical distortitude, it results in complete oscilifilterwaveotlution.

Then apply a scope with the eternalificationes set to x = 12 and y = 3b, it will fortiflitate and the values will vary with the advergence of the propitulatte (only in regards to the x axis of course.)

Most people misapply the harmonical distortitude and the end result is distoriticle velocitish oscillationality- ie DVO and in essence the divictulosisity Amplitprotudinal conjecturissm- ie DAC. This is the ingherent flaw of the DCO which in theory is DVO/DAC=/> DCO-4. VCAs on the other hand don't act this way.

A VCA actually acts as a wave AND a particle which will only react in reference to the perpetuity of the amplutubinal matrix. The VCA equatioicty is much more biggerified exponominally as in VCA squared + DVO/DAC = 7 to the 4.312 power - the VCA plus 5. Of course 5 is only revelantious to this equative pupropse.

Right Don?

• Members

The divocitue of the capitulator is diversified by the addition of the amplitube of the oscilaters proportional verticulation. When this ampliocity reaches the null, it creates a wavilation in the oscilations perpituity which negates the voltages inspericliilitatedness. If you counter that with the fillitation of the waves harmonical distortitude, it results in complete oscilifilterwaveotlution.

Then apply a scope with the eternalificationes set to x = 12 and y = 3b, it will fortiflitate and the values will vary with the advergence of the propitulatte (only in regards to the x axis of course.)

Most people misapply the harmonical distortitude and the end result is distoriticle velocitish oscillationality- ie DVO and in essence the divictulosisity Amplitprotudinal conjecturissm- ie DAC. This is the ingherent flaw of the DCO which in theory is DVO/DAC=/> DCO-4. VCAs on the other hand don't act this way.

A VCA actually acts as a wave AND a particle which will only react in reference to the perpetuity of the amplutubinal matrix. The VCA equatioicty is much more biggerified exponominally as in VCA squared + DVO/DAC = 7 to the 4.312 power - the VCA plus 5. Of course 5 is only revelantious to this equative pupropse.

Right Don?

EXACTLY!

• Members

Y'all talking about DCO and VCO and you're completely ignoring the sweet, sweet overdrive a good VCA can give you. Chumps.

Don, what would you recommend for an oscilloscope if I want to go start building something like this?

http://yusynth.net/Modular/index.html

Until you've heard a VCO-based Macbeth M5 in full strut, you have not witnessed God.

I see that and raise you a CS80 through an Eventide H3000.

• Members

That's why a good VCO synth doesn't even need an audio out.

• Members

Don, what would you recommend for an oscilloscope if I want to go start building something like this?

Any 2 channel oscilloscope up to 30 MHz will do. You'll need X and Y channel for Lissajous curve. Apply sine wave from the pc on x and oscillator on y. You'll be able to tune it perfectly. :cool:

I use analog Tektronix 2246 scope. Includes frequency counter, voltage meter (ie. peak to peak), measurement cursors, etc. for fast and precise synth calibration. Comes with vintage green :love: display (that photo has wrong color balance).

• Members

The audio output of one VCO can modulate the pitch of the other VCO. However, there are different kinds of cross-modulations, like linear and non-linear, etc. The important part is that the pitch of DCOs cannot be directly modulated by any Voltage signal.

Then how do DCO synths like the Roland JX series do oscillator cross-mod?

• Members

Right Don?

I think you spelled divictulosisity wrong.

• Members

Since we're on the subject (sort of). I've got a zippering problem in Logic's ES2. I assume most MIDI input gets smoothed in some way because when you control a parameter from, say, a mod wheel, changes are creamy-smooth. But when I control with poly AT the changes are rough and clearly incremental. It's not that the MIDIBOARD is sending less than the full 0-127, I've monitored for that. I think it's that the Logic folk haven't implemented whatever smoothing algorithm they use on other inputs to poly AT.

Does that make any sense at all?

Archived