O/T For those of you that have to walk the halls of large warehouse rehearsal rooms..

Ryan.

• Members

It kills me to walk to the bathroom at Superior St. here in Chicago. Especially with the somewhat recent edition of a '90s "grunge" cover band.

Superior is a decent place. We're trying to muster up the dough to get a room at CPE/Music Garage, but it's gonna take 3 bands to do it. Luckily my drummer is in 2 of the bands, but that place is spensive.

For the OP, why wouldn't you expect bands to be awful and other bands to be good? Jesus I've seen some bands play out at somewhat reputable venues in chicago that looked like they had rehearsed 3 times total.

• Members

I applaud anybody that is into playing music instead of xboxing or youtub'ing or any other of the instant gratification distractions that tempt today's youth. Lots of guys just like a place jam loudly with their friends and have no desire to make it big in music.

What's wrong with xboxing?

• Members

My practice space is in an old new england cotton mill. Basically you just have to play loud to drown out the other {censored} that's being played. Mainly, a really {censored}ty Jimmy Eat World cover band. Other than that, it's rad. Take the good with the bad.

But yeah, no one in that space is going to "make it." Rarely do people ever.

We pay 75 a week, split between 5 people. So $450. Our space is HUGE though, with no sound curfew or anything. We play shows in there actually, they're totally cool with it.

• Members

Its one thing to think that not all bands are going to be commercially successful.

Its another to expect that those bands should shut up or just quit. Thats being an asshole.

There are a lot of people who aren't so naive to think they will get famous for playing guitar. The number who think their band is better than everyone else and seconds from getting a major label offer are equally common. The latter are generally way more out of touch and assholes. The former are usually the ones who actually have fun playing music.

good answer, good answer.

• Members

I live in Japan so it's a bit different around here..

The rooms (yes, rehearsal in japanese) are not big but comfortable. They are clean as the first day and you rent them for hours. The room has all the equipment you would ever need, amps, drums, voice set... So you just go there with your guitar and plug in. Everything is in perfect working order, the only complain is that they like big amps and a jcm2000 can be silly in a room like that. The fee is quite affordable, paid by each person.

About what you hear over there.. Well, there's plenty of j-pop, and you also hear some metal heads. But there are some bands that sound really fresh and different, making me want to step in.

Archived