The "I like Dave Holland", what Jazz do you like thread...

companyman

• Members

[YOUTUBE]f2VtcMRdaCY[/YOUTUBE]

ahaha, awesome Thread.

Drummer really rips on one of my favorite Herbie tunes:
[YOUTUBE]nMzVBOz9xLM[/YOUTUBE]

My current band lots improvising over this tune:

[YOUTUBE]DRWD2jS5qlY[/YOUTUBE]

That Holland opening tune reminded me a bit of John Wetton (King Crimson '74). Maybe he would have done well at the Jazz scene, bah... not jazz, but improvised live:

[YOUTUBE]VJswRGfPu1I[/YOUTUBE]

Company Man: awesome thread and awesome taste. Feel free to post up some more or list them down for me! Real ear candy.:thu: Thanks for the awesome posts from the other folk!

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Excellent suggestions... but I can't believe no one's mentioned (unless I missed it) this guy:

[YOUTUBE]OMmeNsmQaFw[/YOUTUBE]

He's how I got into jazz in the first place...

By the way, I met Ornette Coleman and Sonny Rollins when they came to perform here. They were both amazing and great people.

• Members

He's how I got into jazz in the first place...

By the way, I met Ornette Coleman and Sonny Rollins when they came to perform here. They were both amazing and great people.

I mentioned him in that I posted a Mal Waldron tune with Charlie Rouse playing sax....I think Monk is a touchstone for a great deal of Jazz that came post-1960...his compositions and angular approach became a standard, in the sense that the openness of Coltrane's solo's effected everyone after him.

• Members

I mentioned him in that I posted a Mal Waldron tune with Charlie Rouse playing sax....I think Monk is a touchstone for a great deal of Jazz that came post-1960...his compositions and angular approach became a standard, in the sense that the openness of Coltrane's solo's effected everyone after him.

Yea man! Great thread and great clips! :thu:

Speaking of which, have you heard the concert with Monk and Coltrane? Great stuff... two legends together!

• Members
Yea man! Great thread and great clips!
:thu:

Speaking of which, have you heard the concert with Monk and Coltrane? Great stuff... two legends together!

right on guys...this thread rules! :thu:

[YOUTUBE]7Msqw94XfKk&feature[/YOUTUBE]

Dexter is right up there with Coltrane in my book.

• Members

Dude! You met Ornette and Sonny...holy {censored}!
:love:

Yea man! Both such great people (at least that's what I saw). They both performed at the theater I used to work in not long ago. Sonny got here at 3pm and started rehearsing/sound checking non-stop. We had to ask if he could stop for 30 minutes so we could finish focusing some lights. He literally played until half an hour before show and then came back out and played like a 2 hour set. The guy's like 80 now... it's incredible. Granted, he was a bit out of breath by the end and couldn't give an encore, but it was still amazing.

Later on I ran into him in the elevator, as I was putting away some subwoofers. He said: what are those?! So I was about to answer "subwoofers" but his manager cuts me off and got extremely technical saying model names and stuff. Sonny just looks at me and smiles and is like: "huh... suuuuubwoofers!"

Archived