Finally saw Built to Spill

Aedes

• Members

Yeah another thread. My first time seeing them--saw them at the Cat's Cradle in Carborro NC last night.

They were great, really tight, sound was fantastic.

Couple of things took me by surprise--the total lack of 'witty banter' from the band to the crowd and the awkward dead silence between songs while everyone watched doug tune his strat. after every song. there was the occasional 'thanks' after the song, but that was about it. to tell you the truth it looked like the whole band was kind of ticked off.

oh and they did a great version of the grateful dead's 'ripple'. but no free bird last night.

• Members

Built to Spill is my favorite band, and I've seen them about a dozen times. I think they have a great live show, but they have very little stage presence. I for one am glad for the almost total lack of "witty banter" because I'm there to hear the music. However, if you don't know to expect that, it can be a little odd. I doubt the band was ticked off; they're just not very extroverted. They let their music speak for itself.

Also, they really only played Free Bird on one tour; its not something in their regular repertoire. Their version of Ripple does sound good though.

• Members
Couple of things took me by surprise--the total lack of 'witty banter' from the band to the crowd and the awkward dead silence between songs while everyone watched doug tune his strat. after every song. there was the occasional 'thanks' after the song, but that was about it.

Haha, when I saw 'em a couple years ago I was totally weirded out by that same thing. I was wondering if they were just having an off night or technical problems or something. When they would kick into a song it was amazing- huge wall of sound, 3 electric guitars going, everybody sounded great- but the second that song was over there would be at least 3 minutes of complete silence while Doug stared at the ground and tuned. He said nothing at all until the second to the last song, when he said, "thanks." :lol:

I love Built To Spill, but I have to say I was pretty underwhelmed as far as having any kind of special experience/connection live.

• Members
Haha, when I saw 'em a couple years ago I was totally weirded out by that same thing. I was wondering if they were just having an off night or technical problems or something. When they would kick into a song it was amazing- huge wall of sound, 3 electric guitars going, everybody sounded great- but the second that song was over there would be at least 3 minutes of complete silence while Doug stared at the ground and tuned. He said nothing at all until the second to the last song, when he said, "thanks."
:lol:

I love Built To Spill, but I have to say I was pretty underwhelmed as far as having any kind of special experience/connection live.

I sort of got used to it but it was totally unexpected. The hairy guitarist went up to the mic at one point and said "Hi." The whole crowed responded with a huge "Hi!!" Then he said "Hi" again. And that was about it.

• Members
They just played Morgantown about less than a month ago and it happened just as you described. It was a great show, and it was weird that it ended around midnight. Usually shows here go until 2 AM.

same here--show ended at 1130. good for me though because the club was an hour's drive away :)

• Members

Its become a tradition among my friends to count the number of times Doug Marsch says "thanks" throughout a BTS concert. Usually its around 12. I met him a couple months ago, nice guy but definitely really introverted.

Their lack of stage presence never really bothered me because they sound so damn good live.

• Members
Built to Spill is my favorite band, and I've seen them about a dozen times. I think they have a great live show, but they have very little stage presence. I for one am glad for the almost total lack of "witty banter" because I'm there to hear the music. However, if you don't know to expect that, it can be a little odd. I doubt the band was ticked off; they're just not very extroverted. They let their music speak for itself.

:thu:

If I want witty banter, I'll see a comedian. If I want to see good music played well, I'll see Built to Spill.

Do some of you people go to operas or theatre productions and complain at a lack of audience interaction?

• Members

I was at the show too. I had never seen them either but my girlfriend is a HUGE fan.

I thought they were absolutely fantastic. Great sounds coming from those guitarists. They were totally tight. Doug was hilarious I thought. Between every song he'd wipe down with a towel leaving his hair looking like he'd stuck it in a light socket. I don't care about banter & stage presence. Their playing speaks for itself.

On a side note: the opening band Revolt Revolt sucked a dick. They sounded like {censored} I was doing when I was 19 in a garage. It was like a 3 piece doing {censored}ty pixies covers and the guitarist had just discovered a delay pedal & used it in the weirdest places with the worst possible taste ever.

• Members
:thu:

If I want witty banter, I'll see a comedian. If I want to see good music played well, I'll see Built to Spill.

Do some of you people go to operas or theatre productions and complain at a lack of audience interaction?

i don't have a problem with the lack of banter--but it was unusual given the fact that doug had to spend 2-3 minutes tuning between every song.

i've seen a lot of shows, and i don't remember ever seeing anyone tune that much.

and yes, it was good music being played well.

• Members

One thing I have learned in my years of playing shows: absolute minimum amount of time between songs keeps the set moving.

The witty banter thing can seriously backfire, and once you lose a crowd getting them back is a Sisyphean task.

Play your songs. Say who you are. Say thank you.

• Members

On a side note: the opening band Revolt Revolt sucked a dick. They sounded like {censored} I was doing when I was 19 in a garage. It was like a 3 piece doing {censored}ty pixies covers and the guitarist had just discovered a delay pedal & used it in the weirdest places with the worst possible taste ever.

I saw BTS two nights ago and this was my exact description of the openers, I clapped at the end of songs not because they were good but because they were over, simply revolting. BTS' drummer looked so bored he even started packing up his kit before the last song was over...that seemed a bit strange.

Archived