Tell me about your Ring Thing

ambient

• Members

I have mad gas but it still confuses me.

So far I can gather that it does:

Normal ring modulation (which I've never really found a use for)

Tuned ring modulation

Polyphonic pitch shifting

some trem/phase stuff???

So, tell me how you use yours? what kinda sounds can/do you getfrom it?

parody incomiiiiiiing

• Members

I love mine.

Ring Modulation is awesome, saying that I haven't found a use for it in a song yet, but my new band is still in its infancy.

The polyphonic pitch shifting is awesome, as are the trem and vibe sounds, the Ring Thing kicked the Micro POG and Small Stone off my board.

I love the vibe and the trem sounds, I've found that factory preset #1 gets me a good Omar/Hendrix vibe sound and the trem can go RATM/Radiohead etc, very versatile, and I use octave down/dry blend for an organ tone on one song.

The pitch shifting is really clean and natural sounding. I intend to use this pedal a lot to vary the sound in my trio band.

• Members

Love mine as well. I use it mostly for its harmonizer, octaves, and vibe. Even though this is branded as a ring modulation pedal it does so much. Really this thing is a great pitch shifter/mod hidden in a ring mod.

When you use the ring mod very subtly with fuzz it can really fatten your sound up.

[YOUTUBE]WFWcVCyhmMs[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]U_os2g4ht8I[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

So are there different modes? ring/pitch/mod etc

Or is it just combinations of settings give different results?

I can't really work it out by looking at it.

4 different modes actually. Ring Modulation, Upper Band Mod, Lower Band Mod, and Pitch Shifting. If I remember correctly Rind Mod is where you'll find your modulation as well as ring mod. Upper and Lower Band Modulation modes give you a either a upper or lower sideband. Pitch shifting mode is well... pitch shifting plus harmonizer.

• Members

$209.25 @ tonefactor seems like a really nice price for everything you get.

Any recomendations for EXP pedals? I hear some people have issues with the pitch bend going flat when using one.

Also what's the deal with the stereo outs? Dry one side and effect the other or does stuff go back and forward etc?

• Members

I think the people who are having the problems with expression pedals haven't read the manual properly to be honest.

There is an LFO controlled pitch bend that you can apply to the pitch shifting mode, in regular pitch shifting without this bend you need the rate and depth knobs set to zero to allow you to use the full sweep of the pedal.

• Members
Also what's the deal with the stereo outs? Dry one side and effect the other or does stuff go back and forward etc?

It depends what mode you are in, I haven't used mine much in stereo yet though.

So are there different modes? ring/pitch/mod etc

Or is it just combinations of settings give different results?

I can't really work it out by looking at it.

trem sounds you get in Ring Mod modes, the vibe sound you get by adding in the filter knob to the trem sound. There is a separate mode for pitch-shifting.

Best pedal I've ever bought. Sounds amazing and does so much. :love:

• Members

An undocumented feature of the Ring Thing is its ability to follow the pitch of what you play and tune itself automatically.
This is called intelligent ring modulation.
This feature is monophonic and produces great bass and synth sounds. The output needs to be boosted in level before being routed into the mod jack. For the boost I used a LPB-1.
The other two pedals are not necessary for this effect.

2-6.jpg

Setting:
3-5.jpg

• Members

How is the pitch-shifting compared to a Whammy? I mean, really?

Well I haven't played them side-by-side, but I used to own a Whammy IV and I much prefer my Ring Thing. It can shift chords without going mental. My Whammy could never do that.

The other thing with the Whammy is that you have no control over the blend of the wet/dry signal. With the Ring Thing you do, you can set it 100% wet and shift everything you play up or down. It's not 100% pristine, palm-muting sounds a bit funny, but it's good enough for me.

Archived