Daft Punk: What do they do?

Thanaan

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I went to see Ulrich Schnauss play live a few weeks ago. Maybe some of you have heard of him...

He's all electronic, but puts on zero of a show in terms of circus tactics. No helmets, minimal lighting effects, no flashy racks of mysterious gear, etc. Just him, sitting at a laptop on stage. He hit a keyboard a few times, but mostly turned a few knobs on a knobby controller and messed with his mouse.

But here's the deal - his music is great I think, and the kids in the crowd also were totally into it. It was a memorable "concert" as he ran through remixes of material I was already familiar with, or he "played" new material. This is the way it is - kids are comfortable with not only "just DJs" up front, but with even less, someone twiddling Ableton or something like, sitting in a chair.

I do think his live gig would be better if served up with some movement, some performance aspect, some drama, etc. But it is what it is, and the kids don't seem to mind. Maybe if instruments were visibly played it would be better, but what it was wasn't "bad" at all.

Why do folks of a certain age get so worked up about this?

nat whilk ii

• Members

Hey, everybody says compression, what that much compression would be for?....

Some dance artists (including Daft Punk, not on every song though) exploit the compression "pumping" effect.

Pumping occurs when the release on your compression is too high, and you hear the signals fade up from the compressed level to the normal level.

For Daft Punk style pumping (as I know it), your bass drum kick is recorded at a level higher than the overall track (those who have played with analog kicks know this is relatively easy to do, especially if you avoid in-track compressors :) ). The deliberate "pumping" compressor is probably performed on the final mix.

High end tube compressors? I bet their compressors are computer based. :)

• Members

Why do folks of a certain age get so worked up about this?

it's mostly the hype i object too. today's alternative or underground music is bent on the image of music and has nothing to do actually being music in the traditional sense. which is quite suitable for today's myspace generation that can't look beyond skin deep.

• Members

it's mostly the hype i object too. today's alternative or underground music is bent on the image of music and has nothing to do actually being music in the traditional sense. which is quite suitable for today's myspace generation that can't look beyond skin deep.

I agree, although I'd say that "flash over substance" certainly isn't new with this current generation. It does seem to me, though, that it's becoming more prevalent.

• Members

I noticed more and more electronic acts' live set are typically a keyboard and a couple laptops atop. Their hands are typically up by the laptops then play a few lead lines here and there. The only real performer is the front man with his mic
:facepalm:

don't forget the MacBook/MacBook Pro- they've become the lead performers in shows i've seen lately.

• Members

Every time someone says "that's not music", what they mean is "I don't like that music".

It's still music!

im not saying that at all, i'm trying to extrapolate one step outwards and express my displeasure at this new sort of phenomenon of simply being "famous for being famous" as applied towards music. You have to admit the novelty and image aspects of music have come to surpass the sincerity. You could always argue that is always the case, but I dont think it's always been true of home grown, underground type music whereas previously I think they've always coexisted quite nicely.

usually it's not something i worry about.. sure times change, but i've posted another post in the "why so cranky" thing that may explain things a bit.

• Members

Anyway, wether you like it or not, you cannot say that Daft Punk were not sonically creative. I say "were" because they got famous in 97, that's already 11 years ago...

And back then, their sound was quite fresh. In 2001, Discovery was playing everywhere... I personnaly love this album (and the interstella 5555 cartoon :)

To me, they have a great sense of arrangement and sonic balance.

It's not a problem to me that the heart of their tunes is tweaked samples... They are(were) still creative on top of it.. And , by the way, they are real musicians, even if they were not really successfull beginning of the 90's...

As for Live shows, it's hard to say: they do have a great show, great vibes, even if they don't play.

Though i'll always prefer real musicians performing rather than laptop/tweaking acts..

On the other hand I've seen great skilled musicans perform in shows where, in the end, the music was not that great and I couldn't really get into any groove :)

So, what to choose??? A Horowitz with bad music, or a DJ with good vibes?

:)

V

• Members

and express my displeasure at this new sort of phenomenon of simply being "famous for being famous" as applied towards music.

You know how they made their older albums, right? It makes far more sense (well - relatively speaking) to express your displeasure at manufactured boy/girl-bands or Disney/American Idol instacelebrities - DP knows how to work an actual 909.

Archived