just check their numbers

big crowds, big sales, big bucks

jealously is a curse

i like some of their stuff some i don't

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
You know how they made their older albums, right? It makes far more sense (well - relatively speaking) to express your displeasure at manufactured boy/girl-bands or Disney/American Idol instacelebrities - DP knows how to work an actual 909.

Im really at a loss for words for what i'm trying to say. :idk:

It's not so much the specifics of DP (to me) but rather they lie on one end of a specturm whereas you'd have someone like crystal castles on the other end.

What's bothering me is not so much DP themselves, but rather how people's sense of values have shifted. Sudenly, it's not so bad to plagarize people and pass it off as your own work and when you get caught "hey were just remix, mash up artists... everybody is doing it..". because you know what, everyone is. Wether it's pasting 300 man's head on everything, anime music video movies; attention is a few clicks away. it's that easy.

Sure, someone will add in and say "but hey, look how many artists and older music has been made new again that today's kids wouldn't have been exposed to otherwise". And you know, I wouldn't disagree. But I don't think the ends are justified by the means and I think we're losing much, much more in the process as a people.

• Members
Im really at a loss for words for what i'm trying to say.
:idk:
(clarification)

Ah, I see now. Yeah, I was pretty much turned off by the folks who defend CC (or Timbaland for that matter). It's very simple - Biz Markie's landmark ruling set down the lines, and you better respect them because those lines are exactly what protects you when the reverse would happen.

But I don't think the ends are justified by the means and I think we're losing much, much more in the process as a people.

I want to go all Edward Tufte on music and draw a graph. X-axis: years. Y-axis: genres/strata. Each piece of music becomes a dot. The shape will be half of a pyramid, since new inventions and pioneers bring new genres.

Then you highlight the dots that are actually played on radio stations, and the result will look like those SETI graphs where they show which piece of the sky they've scanned. Pathetically small compared to the rest of the graph.

What bothers me is that there's a ginormous back catalog of music that'll never see the airwaves simply because it's not released as a single. It's so easy to bring more variety in the landscape even without having to dig up indie catalogs - try playing The Prophet's Song instead of Bohemian Rhapsody - but that won't happen.

The loss isn't bad in a certain way - by making the entirety of music a featureless, concrete gray plane, it's easier for the interesting and worthwhile bits to stick out.

• Members

The loss isn't bad in a certain way - by making the entirety of music a featureless, concrete gray plane, it's easier for the interesting and worthwhile bits to stick out.

They are ceartainly harder to find though, but they are there. Kind of as a side note to what I was saying before, but those slices you metnion exist, but the distances between them are shrinking and being filled with media in systems that almost parallel the larger filled in slices. This is mainly due to the instant, overexposure of the allways on internet. Rather than persue art, music and media for personal and or intrinsic reasons, it's the want of exposure and fitting into these systems that drives the process. Before, maybe you had 100 people that were into broadening their experiences through research, experimentation, trial and error to sort of tune into and discover their own artistic ideals; but you now have 10,000 people that are simply in it for the exposure.

• Members
I noticed more and more electronic acts' live set are typically a keyboard and a couple laptops atop. Their hands are typically up by the laptops then play a few lead lines here and there. The only real performer is the front man with his mic
:facepalm:

You should check out Soulwax (Nite Versions) - badass remixes but played pretty much live... Ableton for sequencing and samples + live drums, bass, synth and sometimes guitar :cool:

• Members

interesting so many slamming one of the

most popular electronic pop acts of the last 10 yrs

Their early stuff (Homework) is actually pretty good, MHO -- beat wise, programming wise, etc. Then they figured that they could sample (by then) obscure 80s Italian disco, run it through a filter, and call it a night. It was new and different and kind of cool, but also a bit of a cheap shot to the original artists (especially if not properly licensed), and should've been a nice short-lived fad.

Actually it might've been. I haven't heard any new Daft Punk since Discovery, and it seems like there's a lot less of that filter-a-sample-loop-hey-we-have-techno-song thing going these days. So hey.

As far as the passing off of other people's work as others, I'm more bothered about the straight-up obvious sampling in hip hop, which has declined over the years anyways. (Most of the popular Dirty South / crunk stuff seems to be actually produced these days with less reliance on other people's samples; it seems like melody and synthesizer playing have been slowly returning to hip hop. It's about damn time).

In order for kids to be exposed to older music and artists, all they have to do is look. Many people will never look beyond what people tell them is good. Their loss.

• Members

sigh. invariably whenever there is a discussion of daft punk's sampling habits, there is invariably someone who alludes to the illegality of sampling. take a look at the liner notes of discovery, and you will discover full credit where it is due. also, its usually people who dont actually own the album who make these claims, which is pretty ironic.

• Members

Samples are going out of music because copyright lawyers have caught up with it. You'll never see another Paul's Boutique. But the deep enough pockets can produce abominations like Wyclef's use of Wish You Were Here.

So they're pretty much DJs with some side flavor. So what? People enjoy it. They aren't claiming to be the second coming of Duke Ellington.

• Members

sigh. invariably whenever there is a discussion of daft punk's sampling habits, there is invariably someone who alludes to the illegality of sampling. take a look at the liner notes of discovery, and you will discover full credit where it is due. also, its usually people who dont actually own the album who make these claims, which is pretty ironic.

I should be clear and say that I wasn't specifically referring to Daft Punk when talking about illegal sampling. Daft Punk may have started the filtered-sample-loop-as-a-song trend, but they certainly weren't the only ones doing it, and not all of the artists were doing it properly, right?

• Members

back to the original question...

in the studio a lot of work

on stage nothing but pose for the fans.

in the end it doesn't matter how the music is either generated or created.
only how good or bad the end result is.
if you plagarize someone that's one thing, if you take parts of something and make it something else you at least made something new. it may suck but at least it's now different.

we can sit and debate how much effort we all think daft punk make but in the end it doesn't matter. next to no effort and lots of effort and everything in between doesn't matter.
there is no such thing as a shortcut in creativity. it is either created or it isn't.

Archived