Guitar final coat product at hone depot/ lowes... Nitrocellulose like spray product??

hangwire

• Members

one of the forumites at the telecaster forum (tdpri.com) contacted Minwax directly to ask about the black can lacquer being nitro or not, and the answer was yes. Not as high content nitro particles as in reranch nitro, but nitro non the less. Also, unlike Deft that won't yellow and stew mac that won't crack, Minwax will amber and crack with time just like Reranch nitro, but for about half the price and can be found locally in somewhat large quantities. I still love reranch though, it's where I'll get my fender colors with the exception of olympic white and charcoal frost metallic.

Deft will yellow and it will check (crack); just not as easily or fast as ReRanch will. Any nitro lacquer will yellow over time - but Deft uses an inhibitor. It just slows the process, it doesn't stop it completely. For that, an acrylic lacquer tends to perform better. Fender used acrylic color coats for some of their 60s era paints - and just like with a nitro color coat, you can put nitro clear over the top of it too. By '63 they were putting the nitro over Fullerplast anyway...

Archived