what tremolo(s) effect here? -> garbage "vow"

hangwire

• Members

Nevermind.... it doesn't look like he's muting the strings.... but still... maybe tremolo + ping pong delay... I can't shake the feeling of a delay.

... but I could be all worlds of wrong...

If you have an M9 / M13... I'd say mux around with tremolo, panner, and ping pong delay till you get something that works. :)

• Members

I'm thinking the "tremolo" might just be because of the staccato nature in which he's hitting the chords... and then ping pong delay makes it sound like a panner.

that stutter-skip is just a string mute then you think?

I remember back in 1996 when first finding online tabs, it always listed the effect as "play with heavey vibrato"

:facepalm:

• Members

that stutter-skip is just a string mute then you think?

I remember back in 1996 when first finding online tabs, it always listed the effect as "play with heavey vibrato"

:facepalm:

lulz...

Yeah. There's something about the way he's hitting the strings..

You know what... fucking hell he might be playing with a slow volume too, because if you notice you never hear the attack of the strings, and that'd be hard to time, even with a sequenced tremolo.

I could imagine a slow volume + tremolo + panner would work.

• Members

Fuck it.... I'm going to go give it a shot myself.

that's the spirit... post a vid too... and then post a vid of the kickass song/riff you wrote using a failed attempt at the above, but that you will work into something grand... the songwriting process :cool:

• Members

the start of Vow was 9 individual chords, 3 for each chord, that I loaded into the K2500 sampler, the used filters, panning, and envelope parameters to get that sort or swirly tremolo effect.

We got asked to use that song in a sampler CD "Volume" in the UK, and none of us were into it..at the time it sounded really boring, kind of clean sounding.

When I started to mix, I ran every single channel really hot through the Harrison to get some saturation or distortion, and put Shirls vox through this Nady gtr stomp box.

Also (by accident) only one side of the mix went through a compressor.

The gtr intro, and the mandolin-ish solo by Steve we're recorded at the very last minute. We didn't intend to put the song on the album, and then some radio stations in the US started playing the song, and sort of forced us to get our {censored} together and finish the album.

http://garbage.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=talk&action=print&thread=15788

EDIT: I have memories of seeing something on TV ages ago with Butch {censored}ing around on Pro Tools and getting that effect. Can't remember where from though.

• Members

everyone knows garbage are crap and ripped off...well...umm...meh

"I don't go to your house and tell you how to make rice"

this particular show in Klon [Colgne?] 2005 is amazing. Garbage always will have a place in my music collection as they are semi-local... and amazing songs/effects use

• Members

Probably pre-programmed sequenced trem sync'd to a click track. Something like an adrenalinn but probably a lot more expensive and in a rack
:idk:

While thats probably accurate, ostensibly it sounds like:

Guitar > Compressor/EQ > Delay > Tremolo

• Members

While I upload the video I'll just tell yeah.

It's real simple actually.

You play the chords staccato like (which I'm still pretty sure he is doing... maybe muting with his chord hand).

Use a digital delay with feedback set to just one note trailing at the proper tempo.

That goes into a panner, square wave, hard left / right, with a speed set at twice that of the delay. Thusly every delayed note will come out the second speaker.

... and then you just match up your rhythm of hitting the chords in a way that sounds right (you'll know... like surfing a wave).

... and voila.

Video incoming sooooon.

• Members

If you really want to know, Butch Vig posts over at Gearslutz (excellent recording forum BTW). You could probably send him a PM and get an answer there.

I could also just drive to Madison and knock on his studio's door as well... [that sounds kinda creepy thought], but thanks for the heads up :thu:

Garbage is a band that does lots of studio tricks, but live they pull this stuff off too... so mainly looking forward to Devi's video at this time...

• Members

Ha! I didn't notice that you were in WI. I think he sold the studio there (or it is for sale).

awww, too bad... I haven't been to Madison in a while but it was always fun back in teh day to drive by and point at the corner where soem great 90s albums were recorded.

Archived