Portable vocal/amp booths?

BTBAM

• Members

Anyone used or have something like this?

reflexion_filter.jpg

I saw one similar at guitar center and was really surprised how it killed the sound around the microphone.

I thought about getting one for vocals...but then got curious if there are any dampening ones that would also be ideal for guitar amp use?

• Members

I've got a couple of those and they're helpful, but to get the best out of them you need at least some acoustic room treatment.

For example, when recording vocals, acoustic treatment behind the singer is more important - as it will reduce sound reflections going in to the front of the mic.

• Members

Why are you afraid to let a little room and character into what you are recording?

Why block out those things that make your record truly yours? Allow yourself to have a fingerprint.

Not afraid of it at all. Just would love to have the option of a drier sound. Until the wife and I get a house, I'd like to keep the apartment walls in their secured place...and not drop them in my recordings.

• Members

Most external noises do not add good character to music.

W.hat W.ould R.obert P.ollard D.o?

I'm not saying Brian should record while someone is vacuuming in the other room but I'm pretty sure opening a closet full of clothes or in front of a couch and setting the mic up there would do the same thing as well as add a little personal touch / fingerprint.

He spoke of recording his record away from distraction in a cabin... I would imagine the cabin would creek and vibrate and offer a whole world of noises one would / could embrace as character.

• Members

I'm just basically looking into different scenarios or tools.

That booth actually I was thinking about for vocals for when I am tracking future band stuff, but it made me wonder if they made any reflective ones that would be good for guitar also.

It was merely curiosity.

As for the solo stuff...I'm planning on having a lot of different environments for the various songs....the cabin included.

Speaking of...I probably should atleast try and gather up some songs I'd want to try and tackle there, book it, and I can give you that info, if you in fact wanted to come down. However...did you say you were busy for most of the end of the year? I could always do it first of the '11.

• Members

As for the solo stuff...I'm planning on having a lot of different environments for the various songs....the cabin included.

Speaking of...I probably should atleast try and gather up some songs I'd want to try and tackle there, book it, and I can give you that info, if you in fact wanted to come down. However...did you say you were busy for most of the end of the year? I could always do it first of the '11.

I would love to come out and participate like we talked about. At this point I would look at times available for the cabin and get back to me. Avengers pulled out of NYC to go with union busting Canadians and went to Vancouver so I am booking working for the upcoming year. As it stands now I will be doing Season 2 of Boardwalk Empire and Season 2 of How To make It In America or The new season of Bored To Death. All of these things are to start soon and the sooner I know what you want from me the sooner I can let folks know when I won't be available.

• Members
I would love to come out and participate like we talked about. At this point I would look at times available for the cabin and get back to me. Avengers pulled out of NYC to go with union busting Canadians and went to Vancouver so I am booking working for the upcoming year. As it stands now I will be doing Season 2 of Boardwalk Empire and Season 2 of
How To make It In America
or The new season of Bored To Death. All of these things are to start soon and the sooner I know what you want from me the sooner I can let folks know when I won't be available.

{censored}. Yes. I wasn't sure if it had been picked up for a second season. Steal me a set piece for the psych dungeon? :lol:

• Members

Not afraid of it at all. Just would love to have the option of a drier sound. Until the wife and I get a house, I'd like to keep the apartment walls in their secured place...and not drop them in my recordings.

Get two 2"x4" sheets of auralex one for in front and one behind. Throw the one for in front taped in a corner like that contraption is shaped. The other you can rig up taped to mic stands or the back of a door? Instant vocal booth. If you're jamming with others and want to stop the bleed of a small amp take two couch cushions placed on either side as makeshift gobos.

Archived