Carling 316PP switches

warioblast

• Members

I ordered 3 Carling switches thinking they were 316PP (the pic showed 316PP) and received 3 X 316 B-PP. On Area51 website, they say the 316 PP has less physical noise than the 316 B-PP. Have anyone experienced that ?

I have an old 316PP in my Clyde clone but I have no soldering iron ATM so I can't judge for myself.

This is the 316 PP 421_0.jpg and this is the 316 B-PP AllEP4155000.jpg

• Members

Not really. When most people (maybe not you) say "X-wing" they are referring to this switch:

Xwing.jpg

The lugs make an "x" shape on the bottom thus the name.

Nope. That switch (in this photo above) just came out a couple years ago. What bench techs refer to an "xwing" switch is the Carling 316 (top left photo OP). The 316 switch has had that nickname probably before you were born? ;)

• Members

Nope. That switch (in this photo above) just came out a couple years ago. What bench techs refer to an "xwing" switch is the Carling 316 (top left photo OP). The 316 switch has had that nickname probably before you were born?
;)

I have to agree with Nitefly. Those have been around for many years and are usually referred to as X-wing. I've never heard the Carling called X-wing.

• Members

I have to agree with Nitefly. Those have been around for many years and are usually referred to as X-wing. I've never heard the Carling called X-wing.

Its possible that the carlings are also called "x-wing" switches in his tech community although there is nothing about them that suggests x-wing to me. Most people in the effects community consider "x-wing" synonymous with cheap and unreliable which is not a statement I would attach to carling products.

• Members

Its possible that the carlings are also called "x-wing" switches in his tech community although there is nothing about them that suggests x-wing to me. Most people in the effects community consider "x-wing" synonymous with cheap and unreliable which is not a statement I would attach to carling products.

I understand that the slang term may have drifted over to this 6-winged south seas switch you're showing but the original 316 has been called an xwing for decades.

Star Wars came out in 1977. This is what an "x-wing" fighter looks like (two wings on either side).

x-wing.jpg

The switch you're showing has three "wings" and has only been out a couple years.

The Carling 316 has been commercially available since??? (I'm no historian but you get my drift?)

421_0.jpg

Believe me you'll have a problem communicating this to techs that have been around for more than a couple years. ;)

• Members

Not to belabor it, but my Rat from '96 has that kind of switch and my 93ish Dunlop Fuzz Face had one. So they've definitely been around for more than "a couple" of years, though definitely nowhere near as long as the Carling 316. In the current DIY effects community that switch is almost invariably referred to as the X-wing style. (Carling makes this style of switch as well btw, the 641)

Small Bear calls it x-wing

http://www.smallbearelec.com/Detail.bok?no=24

Pedalpartsplus calls it x-wing.

http://www.pedalpartsplus.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=PPP&Category_Code=SWI

• Members

Not to belabor it, but my Rat from '96 has that kind of switch and my 93ish Dunlop Fuzz Face had one. So they've definitely been around for more than "a couple" of years, though definitely nowhere near as long as the Carling 316. In the current DIY effects community that switch is almost invariably referred to as the X-wing style. (Carling makes this style of switch as well btw, the 641)

Small Bear calls it x-wing

Pedalpartsplus calls it x-wing.

That switch he posted came out about two years ago. I know there's others that have a similar style. The Carling 316 got that nickname because it sorta looks like an xwing fighter when viewed from the front. I'm not saying that people don't call that China made switch above an xwing but I've never heard anyone in the biz call any switch an xwing with the exception of the Carling 316 (OP above left). If Steve at small bear wants to confuse people so be it (I just noticed nether one of these companies carry the Carling "xwing" 316. Might be an intentional renaming due to the almost legendary status of the 316? Those Carlings are not cheap.). That's all I'm saying. Cheers!

• Members

That switch he posted came out about two years ago. I know there's others that have a similar style. The Carling 316 got that nickname because it sorta looks like an xwing fighter when viewed from the front. I'm not saying that people don't call that China made switch above an xwing but I've never heard anyone in the biz call any switch an xwing with the exception of the Carling 316 (OP above left). If Steve at small bear wants to confuse people so be it (I just noticed nether one of these companies carry the Carling "xwing" 316. Might be an intentional renaming due to the almost legendary status of the 316? Those Carlings are not cheap.). That's all I'm saying. Cheers!

Dude you are talking with two people that build pedals and talk to dozens of builders all the time. We are as in the biz as you can get when it comes to dealing with footswitches. I've been building pedals for way more than two years and some of the first pedals I made all used the switch I posted. I've had DAM pedals from 2003 or so that had that switch in it.

Are you trolling? Seriously, SonicVI and I both have had pedals from the 90s that had the switch I posted. How can you claim its only been out two years?

• Members

Dude you are talking with two people that build pedals and talk to dozens of builders all the time. We are as in the biz as you can get when it comes to dealing with footswitches. I've been building pedals for way more than two years and some of the first pedals I made all used the switch I posted. I've had DAM pedals from 2003 or so that had that switch in it.

Are you trolling? Seriously, SonicVI and I both have had pedals from the 90s that had the switch I posted. How can you claim its only been out two years?

Hey Nite, chill. Not trolling at all just pointing out something that's all. You say that exact switch (in the photo you posted) has been around as long or longer than the Carling 316?

• Members

Hey Nite, chill. Not trolling at all just pointing out something that's all. You say that exact switch (in the photo you posted) has been around as long or longer than the Carling 316?

I didn't say that at all. You said its only been around two years and SonicVI and I have pedals from the 90s with that switch in it.

• Members

With that exact switch in it? That exact DPDT you posted from small bear's site?
:confused:

You're totally f-ing nitpicking. In your world the Carling 316 may be called the X-wing, and that's cool, but in the world of almost every current pedal builder the style (even if not the exact manufacturer and part # as the one in the pic Dave posted) has been around for many years and is referred to as the X-wing. I doubt even the old timers over at diystompboxes like RG Keen and Mark Hammer would still call the 316 an X-wing switch. Bottom line, if you ask someone who uses or builds pedals 99% will not call the Carling 316 the X-wing type switch and if you refer to an X-wing switch in this forum almost everybody will think of the other switch.

Regardless of what you call it, the Carling is by far a superior switch and I'd always choose it over an X-wing type.

Let go Luke!

• Members

You're totally f-ing nitpicking. In your world the Carling 316 may be called the X-wing, and that's cool, but in the world of almost every current pedal builder the style (even if not the exact manufacturer and part # as the one in the pic Dave posted) has been around for many years and is referred to as the X-wing. I doubt even the old timers over at diystompboxes like RG Keen and Mark Hammer would still call the 316 an X-wing switch. Bottom line, if you ask someone who uses or builds pedals 99% will not call the Carling 316 the X-wing type switch and if you refer to an X-wing switch in this forum almost everybody will think of the other switch.

Sonic, It's a dumb argument. If you call pot pie a pasty who's to say you're wrong?

When you say old timers? There's a hole in the wall electronics shop down the street from me owned by a guy in his late 60's maybe early 70's?. If you were to go in there asking for a DPDT "xwing" style panel mount switch I would bet my left nut he would go over to a shelf and hand you a Carling 316.

What I've learned this week is people also have given the name to that China made DPDT. Cool, you learn something every day. Thanks :)

• Members

It'a not a dumb argument at all. Terms change or mean different things different places. Call it whatever you want, and argue all you want, but if you want pedal builders and users on the internet to know what you are talking about then don't call the 316 an X-wing switch. :wave:bye!

Archived