OT: What happens when you die?

Ryan.

• Members

Life and death can be summed up in the following 4 words:

Don't be an asshole.

If you believe in religion or reincarnation, then when you die living your life as an asshole will suck when it comes to the afterlife or reincarnation.

If you believe there is nothing after life, then don't die an asshole because no family/friend will miss you, think of you, or wish you were still around, and your legacy is the only thing that tied you to this world.

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Simple intuition tells us that this is false; yes, we're made of the same stuff, but clearly, our language, manipulation of the natural world, subjugation of the very fabric of reality, the presence of consciousness... it is very plain that we, as a species, are not slightly different than other animals, but are completely and entirely different in many ways.

a lexus is a lot different than a model T but they're both cars, GPS doesn't make it divine

• Members

No one is very creative thus far.

When you die your spirit is laid to rest in a sheet of paper. Origami is made of you and for the same amount of time you were on Earth, you hang in a shop window as a paper swan watching your life stroll by in muted shades of the colors you can barely remember. Finally your past self will meet with you in that shop window and again you'll be born to Earth to try again. And the more you live and die, the more you realize that there are very few people on Earth. Its just the same people living their lives over and over, getting better and better at it.

• Members
Life and death can be summed up in the following 4 words:

Don't be an asshole.

If you believe in religion or reincarnation, then when you die living your life as an asshole will suck when it comes to the afterlife or reincarnation.

If you believe there is nothing after life, then don't die an asshole because no family/friend will miss you, think of you, or wish you were still around, and your legacy is the only thing that tied you to this world.

basically this :lol:

• Members

No one is very creative thus far.

When you die your spirit is laid to rest in a sheet of paper. Origami is made of you and for the same amount of time you were on Earth, you hang in a shop window as a paper swan watching your life stroll by in muted shades of the colors you can barely remember. Finally your past self will meet with you in that shop window and again you'll be born to Earth to try again. And the more you live and die, the more you realize that there are very few people on Earth. Its just the same people living their lives over and over, getting better and better at it.

beautiful way to put it.

• Members

you give humans far too much credit, we're destroying the planet. the most studied "intelligent" people on earth will tell you that we basically know nothing about the universe.

Yet we know infinitely more about it than a turtle does.

• Members
just because you can't understand a dolphin doesn't mean it doesn't talk, it just means we are ignorant to it

any object in motion bends time and space, it has nothing to do with humans

we can't recreate the power of our sun ?

fusion and fission are different
:thu:

Some one didn't see Spider Man 2. :rolleyes:

• Members

just because you can't understand a dolphin doesn't mean it doesn't talk, it just means we are ignorant to it

any object in motion bends time and space, it has nothing to do with humans

we can't recreate the power of our sun ?

fusion and fission are different
:thu:

You're nit picking at the expense of my larger point and you know it. Our ability to interpret dolphin squeaks is irrelevant. Even if there were saying, "I love you and sharks make me sad," it wouldn't erode my larger point.

(Fusion and fission both take place in the sun, btw; again, you understand my point)

• Members

you give humans far too much credit, we're destroying the planet. the most studied "intelligent" people on earth will tell you that we basically know nothing about the universe.

the whole "humans are different and better than all other living things" just ties in with the rest of the ego driven ideas behind christianity

• Members

None of that means we somehow exist outside of nature in any way.

Fantastic point; of course this is no conclusive proof of anything supernatural. I'm merely stating that there is an "otherness" to us that is very vastly separate from other species, and I do not thing I am in the minority here, regardless of creed.

None of what I mentioned is proof of anything transcendent per se; nor did I say it was, though I certainly feel there are indications, and very real food for though. I was simply addressing Marmoset King's point, and demonstrating that it is essentially a non-argument.

• Members

You're nit picking at the expense of my larger point and you know it. Our ability to interpret dolphin squeaks is irrelevant. Even if there were saying, "I love you and sharks make me sad," it wouldn't erode my larger point.

(Fusion and fission both take place in the sun, btw; again, you understand my point)

yes, lego your ego

• Members

Fantastic point;
of course
this is no conclusive proof of anything supernatural. I'm merely stating that there is an "otherness" to us that is very vastly separate from other species, and I do not thing I am in the minority here, regardless of creed.

yes, humans are different than other living things...

every living thing has its own "otherness"

it's your ego that makes you feel your "otherness" is better

Archived