Just bought an OCD V4 blind. What should I expect?

strtdv

• Members

I was looking for a nice OD/distortion pedal that kept the sound of the guitar.

I have TS type sounds and high gain sounds covered, so I wanted something to sit in the middle, and that stacked well.

Will I be disappointed or are they really as good as some people say they are?

• Members

I've got a V4, really like it. I use it as a raunchy overdrive, but I actually find it boosts my Rat clone quite well if I want a more fuzzy sound. It's got nice chunk to it and I love the midrange.

It does make sense in a band context, definitely a good sound turned up loud, and it never falls apart and turns to mush like some overdrives.

• Members

Great on its own... a bit scooped (and by scooped, I mean not super mid heavy... I don't mean Mesa Rectifier scooped), but amazing rhythm pedal.

However, stacked with a Timmy... sustain for days and amazing lead tones.

I love my V1.

The whole "scoop" thing is starting to annoy me. When stacking these, which goes where? I've got a ts9 to go with it.

• Members

The whole "scoop" thing is starting to annoy me. When stacking these, which goes where? I've got a ts9 to go with it.

I use Timmy before, J-Drive after. When I had a TS, it was before.

Scoop isn't super noticeable until you compare it to a TS (and see how nasty, high mid nasally the TS is) :)

I love it for rhythm work. My go-to studio pedal.

• Members

Scoop isn't super noticeable until you compare it to a TS (and see how nasty, high mid nasally the TS is)
:)

I love it for rhythm work. My go-to studio pedal.

Yeah, my amp isn't really mid heavy, so I kind of miss the mid bump from my ts9, but I LOVE the clarity in the OCD... AAAAAAAH! So hard to pick which one I like more!

• Members

I got a V3 a few years ago thinking it was hype and planning to flip it after being proved right. It's about 5 years later and it's still a staple on my board. I use it as a second dirty channel to my Tremoverb's Red Channel. You shouldn't be disappointed. Only thing IMO is I don't care for it in the higher gain settings. Also, 18v sounds a little better than 9v.

Archived