New Pedal Build - Crushed Glass (granular sampler)

tape

• Members

I just hope the redesign looks similar. That crazy led indicator is amazing.

A random slice mode would be great, too. So would step sequencing patterns.

random would be pretty easy.

I could of added so many other options, but that means more knobs, buttons and potential things breaking.

not so sure about a sequencer, though. it just doesn't feel right with something so freeform.

1. right now this pedal can't record LESS than it's max record time (5 seconds). thats one thing I spent weeks tryign to fix. sounds easy but it aint. technical reason: I use the automatic wrapping nature of long variables both in the negatives and positive to my advantage. any loop less than 65536 samples and I can't use many features as effectively.

2. filter is {censored}ing touchy. on the breadboard, it responded even to hand proximity! in this box, it behaves not like I wanted exactly. need to design a new filter or something.

3. really specific cases like "drifting" a trimmed microsample but in REVERSE sometimes bugs at the point of loop if X, Y and Z conditions are met. that kind of stuff. :freak:

v2 will not be soon. I promise. another year, easy. I want to learn a new language so that I can use more powerful chips so that I don't have to use all these hacks which are creating problems. I also don't want to get started right away. I want to build other {censored}. synth-in-a-pedal, some kind of delay, etc.

• Members

In my MAX5 class we programmed stuff like this for our finals. I can't imagine actually building one in the real world. Props on making it work. Gut shots?

You have goofy thumbs.

you're the second to mention my thumbs! I think they're normal. :freak:

guts

5252761033_bc3bffc2a0_z.jpg

5253371368_0143168959_z.jpg

• Members

Well, if you dont have time to do the building, maybe you could sell a kit with the prepared chips?

This is what I was going to say. Kits for his stuff would be great. I'm sure just the enclosure alone takes forever so letting people drill/paint their own would be a huge time saver. I'd love to have his vibrato, bitcrusher, wave shaper and sampler, they would fit perfectly into what I am working on.

• Members

Tape, I can never seem to catch your pedal runs at the right time despite wanting them since before your username change. If you ever want to sell any of your own personal pedals to fund parts, r&d or anything else please let me know. I would love to use some of your stuff on my record.

This.

And btw Tape, finally got to watch the video...... {censored}ing amazing :)

• Members

kits means tech support. especially for something as complex as this. did I mention I spent about 20 hours (over a few days) after assembly debugging and figuring out why it didn't work? in the end it was just a single wire that was hooked up to ground instead of 3.3v. a single wire out of the fifty. I'd hate to imagine how much trouble somebody who didn't design the thing would have.

the only chance of me making a kit is if I redesigned the thing so that all the pots, LEDs and switches were PCB mounted. I've said this design was flawed, so I'm not going to redesign the PCB layout of an already flawed design. I need to redo it. and I need to learn a new language before I can do that. and I have a job, and other hobbies, and a life.

nothing against you guys but I think I gotta stop these "new pedal build" threads. it gets harder and harder every time telling people "no" or "not now". those who want to can just follow my blog.

• Members

Yeah I could understand not wanting to do the kit thing with this but how complicated is the vibrato? Just curious... I wouldn't stop posting NPD's because they are probably the coolest thing that gets posted here. As far as your lack of time, I can totally understand that. Just with my job alone I barely have time for anything much less when you add in a kid, girlfriend, home to keep up, band, farm, etc. The only thing you can cut is sleep and I am already down to 3-5 hours a night most of the time. Still it is a shame more musicians can't get their hands on your stuff but what can you do? It isn't like you can clone yourself. Regardless as always I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with next.

Archived