What is the Best Power Supply?

tonaldeath

It really depends on what pedals you have and what kind of power you need. If you have almost nothing but 9V DC pedals, a 1Spot and a daisy chain will probably be fine, and they're relatively inexpensive - you can probably get the whole setup for under $40. If you need different voltages (9V / 12V / 18V) and / or an AC outlet too, you may need to look into other options, such as the DC Brick, Pedal Power, Fuel Tank, etc. Cost? ~$100 - $200 or so, depending on model and features.

• Members

I use a SupaCharger on my guitar board and a Gator supply on my bass board, which is essentially a copy of the DC Brick. I opted for those power supplies because they will work with any voltage worldwide with just an adapter on the plug. I don't know if that is a concern for you, but if you're heading overseas, I would go that route.

• Members

As Phil said, it's contingent on your power requirements. As well as how many pedals you need to power. Frankly, if you have a lot to power up, I would suggest the CAE/MXR MC-403. It has 16 outs, including: 9V,18V, variable voltage outs, 9VAC and an accessory outlet as well. It also comes w/ a rack mount face plate for convenience and plenty of power cables in varying lengths, great if you have more than 1 drawer of effects pedals.

• Members

As Phil said, it's contingent on your power requirements. As well as how many pedals you need to power. Frankly, if you have a lot to power up, I would suggest the CAE/MXR MC-403. It has 16 outs, including: 9V,18V, variable voltage outs, 9VAC and an accessory outlet as well. It also comes w/ a rack mount face plate for convenience and plenty of power cables in varying lengths, great if you have more than 1 drawer of effects pedals.

If you are powering digital effects I'd recommend against a 1-spot/powerall, the daisy-chained powersupply makes the clock noise audible. I purchased the voodoo labs, and my only complaints are not enough outlets and that it is only 120volts, so when I'm overseas I need a transformer. If I could do it over again, I'd go with the MXR CAE

• Members

If you are powering digital effects I'd recommend against a 1-spot/powerall, the daisy-chained powersupply makes the clock noise audible. I purchased the voodoo labs, and my only complaints are not enough outlets and that it is only 120volts, so when I'm overseas I need a transformer. If I could do it over again, I'd go with the MXR CAE

I love the CAE MC-403. It powers my board and I still have plenty of room to work with. Also, it has a switch for power conversions of US and European power requirements. It also has an on/off switch to power up/down.

• Members

I looked at my pedals, and figured out that I had about $1300 in them. ~$170 for a pedal power 2 seemed like a "reasonable" investment for power (just the batteries would run over $50 for a new set).

I also recently bought an ISO5 for a smaller board. I'm not saying you need one, but if you go with voodoo labs, you'll never worry about power again. I've never seen a negative post about these products.

BTW - no affiliation, but in my experience they're bulletproof. I also have a one spot, but I wouldn't want to run more than 4-5 pedals with it.

Archived