Dice Works Muff Diver power question

DSnellen79

• Members

I have a Muff Diver and love it. However I ran out of batteries today so in a pinch, I plugged in a positive tip 12 volt adaptor. It worked fine but the pedal calls for a 9 volt. My question is, will running my Muff Diver at 12 volts hurt the pedal? Go! And thanks.

Now, I'm not sure about this, buuuuut I think maybe 9v batteries put out higher (12-ish) voltages when they're brand new...? If this is the case, I'd assume the majority of battery-operated pedals be run at 12v, but like I said - totally don't really remember.

• Members

i wouldn't recommend it but i honestly think you'd be ok. people always err on the side of caution but from my experiences at least it is tough to completely ruin something like a guitar pedal. you dont have a one spot or spare 9v batteries?

• Members

#1 rule of power supplies: never, ever plug anything in "in a pinch". You might get lucky, but you might just as well fry the pedal.

If the pedal worked fine off the 12 volt supply, it looks like it didn't do any damage. And as others have noted, a fresh 9v alkaline is about 9.6 volts, and most pedals have a bit of leeway built in. But you really need to find out what the pedal needs (voltage and plug polarity), and make sure the power supply fits.

• Members

Well the onespot doesn't power the pedal. I even used a battery plug adaptor and nothing. I think its a possitive plug.....well its the oposite to the onespot. Anyway I had an extra 9 volt but turns out that "spare" 9 volt I had was dead. Anyway, the only reason I asked was because on some overdrives you can run them at 9 volts or 18 volts. I was just wondering if the Diceworks was similar and if the 12 volt would be ok. I'm learning on this one. And I would have asked DiceWorks but I don't have the contact info because I got the pedal used and I hear he has poor customer service anyway.

• Members

Well the onespot doesn't power the pedal. I even used a battery plug adaptor and nothing. I think its a possitive plug.....well its the oposite to the onespot. Anyway I had an extra 9 volt but turns out that "spare" 9 volt I had was dead. Anyway, the only reason I asked was because on some overdrives you can run them at 9 volts or 18 volts. I was just wondering if the Diceworks was similar and if the 12 volt would be ok. I'm learning on this one. And I would have asked DiceWorks but I don't have the contact info because I got the pedal used and I hear he has poor customer service anyway.

that's really weird. mine is negative.

but you're right about his customer service--worst evar imho. i bought a pedal from him off ebay. didn't see anything for 3 weeks. sent him messages saying i was going to start proceedings with paypal/ebay. then he sends me a snippy {censored}ing message, basically was pissed at me for wondering where the {censored} my pedal is. dude is a complete ass. pedal sounds great. but {censored} that guy.

• Members

Diceworks pedals always struck me as pedals that promise a lot of versatility, but in truth, not all those options are useful, and even sometimes are a jack-of-all-trades, but master-of-none sort of deal. His Fuzz Face/Tonebender one is one such case. The Fuzz Epic, i believe? It's not ideal to have on the fly FF/TB switching because the bias for the two circuit is different. So you're not going to get optimal tone for one of the circuits...

Anyway, don't use more than the recommended voltage, unless it's stated it's okay. Not all caps are created equal, and putting a voltage in higher than what the cap is rated for is a sure fire way to break your pedal.

You got lucky, most caps are rated for at least 12V...but Don't try it again.

• Members

Ok so no more 12 volt in the muff diver. Got it. Sounds like I got lucky. As far as the muff diver sounds....I think its pretty awsome. However I have only owned a Little Big Muff. Someday I would like to try a Pig Mine or SUF Violet or civil war. Thanks every one for the info.

• Members

Well the onespot doesn't power the pedal. I even used a battery plug adaptor and nothing. I think its a possitive plug.....well its the oposite to the onespot.

When you tried the 1spot with battery clip adapter, what happened? Nothing at all? Did you have other pedals daisy-chained from the 1spot at the same time, and did plugging the Muff Diver in short the power out (so none of the other pedals worked)? That'd be consistent with a positive ground pedal - although I've never heard of a positive ground Big Muff... :idk:

Anyway I had an extra 9 volt but turns out that "spare" 9 volt I had was dead. Anyway, the only reason I asked was because on some overdrives you can run them at 9 volts or 18 volts. I was just wondering if the Diceworks was similar and if the 12 volt would be ok. I'm learning on this one. And I would have asked DiceWorks but I don't have the contact info because I got the pedal used and I hear he has poor customer service anyway.

If the capacitors etc in the pedal are rated for 16 volts or more (which they usually are), 12 volts DC should be ok. But if the pedal doesn't even work from a 1spot w/ battery clip adapter, something's up. And the pedal really should have some sort of written direction on it, to help people power it up the right way...

Anyway, if you can post a clear photo of the pedal's insides (especially around the power and input jacks), we might be able to clear things up.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Diceworks pedals always struck me as pedals that promise a lot of versatility, but in truth, not all those options are useful, and even sometimes are a jack-of-all-trades, but master-of-none sort of deal. His Fuzz Face/Tonebender one is one such case. The Fuzz Epic, i believe? It's not ideal to have on the fly FF/TB switching because the bias for the two circuit is different. So you're not going to get optimal tone for one of the circuits...

Anyway, don't use more than the recommended voltage, unless it's stated it's okay. Not all caps are created equal, and putting a voltage in higher than what the cap is rated for is a sure fire way to break your pedal.

His Epic fuzz has a switch for Supa Fuzz and Tone Bender, not fuzz face. They're really similar pedals so I'm not sure there are bias issues. Most people seem to love it.

• Members

I have a Muff Diver and love it. However I ran out of batteries today so in a pinch, I plugged in a positive tip 12 volt adaptor. It worked fine but the pedal calls for a 9 volt. My question is, will running my Muff Diver at 12 volts hurt the pedal? Go! And thanks.

I am running my Muff Diver Finale off a CAE MC-403 Power System. I am using the variable power plug which I tuned to where I like it. Probably 8 volts or so.

pedalboard112010.jpg

• Members

Not true in my case. All settings are useful. Now that said I will never recommenced Erich's pedals anymore because he has become a complete ass when trying to get your pedal and answering emails. But for the quality and tone it is better than any I've tried this side of a Cornish.

• Members

Not true in my case. All settings are useful. Now that said I will never recommenced Erich's pedals anymore because he has become a complete ass when trying to get your pedal and answering emails. But for the quality and tone it is better than any I've tried this side of a Cornish.

I think I agree. I don't know about Erich himself as I got mine second hand for about $150, but the FINALE is a great pedal. I'm currently comparing it to my latest MUFF, the BTMB Royal Beaver, and I think they are really quite different enough that I may have to keep both!:eek:

I have had a Cornish SS-2 once, but it's a different animal than the P2.

:)

Archived