Getting a Fuller Sound

NeilPeartjr

• Members
I just got it... FULL tone.... Fulltone...

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

Actually, it was a double whammy because Mike Fuller is the guy behind Fulltone, so if you want a "Fuller" sound-(to sound like Mike) you use his pedals...but, I'm beating a dead horse here for a one note pun...:o:deadhorse::facepalm:

• Members

maybe i should be more detailed i Go from my guitar-wireless system-Pedal-Mixing board-power amp-out to moniters

Ok, but what does the other guy use. That's just as important to know since he has a thicker sound apparently.

• Members

I Have an Epiphone Les Paul Standared, stock everything, and for practice we go straight to PA but for showes I use a Fender 112 R Deluxe

Still a zillion other variables to look at. Let's eliminate a couple first.

1) Plug your guitar into his rig and see if that gets the tone you want.

IF YES... go on to #2.

IF NO... It's something on your guitar. Epi LP's are remarkably variable, even from one Standard to another. You can get an amazing one, or you can get one that completely sucks. Different pickups might be helpful, as the stock ones are usually horrid.

2) Check the PA channels on yours and your buddy's guitars. Make sure everything is identical- EQ, gain, etc- but don't muck with his if you like his tone.

3) Copy all the settings from his RP to yours. The 355 is the next generation from the 350, so I don't doubt that the 355 has different programs, but this is a good place to start. While you're doing this, take notice of how your sound is modified when you're closing in on his settings.

4) If step #3 doesn't get you there, you're going to have to take the final leap on your own. Using what you learned by listening while you're copying his settings, you'll just have to extrapolate what knobs need to be turned to give you a "full" sound. In general, mids are what you want.

I should also point out, however, that in a band setting, a "full" guitar sound equates to a "muddy" band sound. In a band, you want a "thin" mids-heavy tone in order to cut through. Do not scoop mids unless you're really trying for that tone (and even then).

Archived