Decided to customize my amp a bit...

t-rey

• Members

A while back I got a 5751 preamp tube for my Blackstar HT5, which turned out to be a really good decision. Mid gain sounds are much much better, and the high gain is less fizzy. Plus, it's more responsive to pick attack, which is actually quite nice.

Since it was already partially disassembled, I decided that I should probably paint it green to match my speaker cab. It doesn't really match, but they are both green, so I still dig it.

Behold:

IMG_0292.jpg

IMG_0294.jpg

• Members

post a close up of the front panel so I can copy your amp dials and try that out

nice green too!

My settings? I will just post them (all numbers are o'clock)

ISF noon, Treble 2, Mids 2, Bass 3, Vol 8-9, Gain 10, Clean 8-9

This was from playing pretty quietly the other night (so the treble is a bit higher than normal) - I basically keep it set up for a mid gain crunch and then boost it with the LTD for heavier stuff or the Mastortion for even heavier stuff, especially stoner metal ala High on Fire, The Sword, and Mastodon (obviously).

• Members

I have this amp. Tell me more about the preamp tube swap please.

I feel like the clean channel is better than before - warmer and fuller. The mid gain is much, much better than before - it was really thin and nasal before the swap - again, seems to be warmer and much more usable. Before I would set it up for high gain and boost it to tighten it up, now I have a usable mid gain and boost for the heavy stuff. It has become more responsive to the guitars volume knob and pick attack - with the p90s it cleans up quite a bit from just picking lightly. I do think some of the benefit actually came from the little bit of volume loss due to the lower gain factor of the tube, which means I turn it up a bit more on the volume knob and get the tubes working a bit harder.

Overall I feel like it was a great decision and I would definitely recommend trying one out.

• Members

I feel like the clean channel is better than before - warmer and fuller. The mid gain is much, much better than before - it was really thin and nasal before the swap - again, seems to be warmer and much more usable. Before I would set it up for high gain and boost it to tighten it up, now I have a usable mid gain and boost for the heavy stuff. It has become more responsive to the guitars volume knob and pick attack - with the p90s it cleans up quite a bit from just picking lightly. I do think some of the benefit actually came from the little bit of volume loss due to the lower gain factor of the tube, which means I turn it up a bit more on the volume knob and get the tubes working a bit harder.

Overall I feel like it was a great decision and I would definitely recommend trying one out.

Thanks, I'll have to see what tubes I have lying around to experiment with.

Archived