OT: Just Starting to read Kurzweil's "The Singularity is Near"

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Why? Helen Keller was blind and deaf and yet could communicate with sign language. If the brothers can still feel things they should be able to communicate with sign language.

As Paulz mentioned, it would have to be tactile sign language like braille, and would need referential cues over time to develop. But sure, not impossible.

• Members
  • Members

whats the answer to the riddle, cause i'm bored

or is it that they reach their own singularity... just after time of sitting in a room the guy with sight watches the hearing brother walk over to the phone, which peaks his interest, so he picks it up while dragging mr mouth over... smashes the mouth man on the forehead with it making him scream into the phone and ta da... rescue.

There is no definite answer. I made up this riddle yesterday while trying to think of an analogy to the concept of reaching for the singularity. So your answer is as plausible as any.

My thinking is that no single company or scientist will be able to reach it alone, and the process leading up to the singularity will likely be excruciatingly painful, and will bring our very moral fibre into question. Yet, if we dont reach it, our extinction will seem tangible. Therefore, the singularity will almost be inevitable.

• Members

Yes, Kurzweil certainly sounds more optimistic than I am comfortable with. We think we have privacy issues now. Holy hard drive Batman!

The interesting thing to me is that his ideology exists in a vacuum which nearly completely disregards the reality and fact that almost ALL of our exponential progress has also required exponential energy input. It borders on the same logical fallacy that economists subscribe to; that finance creates wealth, when anybody with eyes can see that the flow of capital is just a metaphor for the flow of resources.

All unsustainable growth is fictitious, but people in camp Kurzweil when faced with this fact generally just resort to

• Members

:idea:

Persistence
sounds cool.

It won the hugo and the nebula for a reason I suppose !!!

I think the sprawl trilogy (neruomancer, count zero, mona lisa OD) is still relevant, esp if you are looking to the "mid future", and it does look into independent AI - but I'd suggest reading them as a trilogy. Gibson is sort of a trilogy guy.

He has moved on to post-cyberpunk which, interestingly, has brought him closer and into near-future-to-present stuff. Which isn't necessarily a "break" from cyberpunk -- but in a way may be a little more like an explanatory vector of the more abstract mid-future from his cyberpunk days

• Members

Larry Niven had a funny riff on the "runaway AI" in one of his Draco Tavern stories - this advanced race sells an earth guy plans for a super computer that is basically a "technology singularity engine" type of computer that amasses "intelligence" in that sort of manner

Well, they are genuine plans, but the practical effect is that it works for a little bit, then becomes uncommunicative, then shuts itself off - which is why the race that sold the human the plans stopped building them -- they'd always just do that, basically become autistic (the whole "makers become irrelevant" riff taken to a comic extreme) then reach a terminal state -- I suppose it ties into the idea of a physical 0 dimension singularity (a "black hole" style point)

• Members

I never finished reading
Neuromancer
, and really should, though it's a bit outdated now. I love the first
Ghost In The Shell
movie, but never saw
Stand Alone Complex
. I'll have to check that out too.

"Ghost in the Shell" is an excellent series that integrates a ton of these concepts. Don't forget "Lane" as well. It's an anime series that deals with the topic of the internet from the lens of Carl Jung's collective unconscious.

• Members

Addressing the riddle - I think that the brother with sight is most likely to lead to their escape. At some point he is going to notice a phone in the room, and observe that one of his brothers appears to be yelling for help (which I assume would happen for awhile). He would likely try to move his brother toward the phone to see if someone hears his cries for help. If his brother has stopped yelling, it isn't hard to imagine that he would eventually get his brother near the phone and make him yell through prompting or physical harm in an effort to get help.

And another thing - we do use all of our brains. It's just impossible to use it all at once on one particular function since each part of the brain serves a different purpose. The 10% myth comes from the fact that we are not using all of our brain all of the time.

• Members

paranoid

Speaking of, I think this word will pretty well sum up the whole experience leading up to the singularity.

Imagine a world not too far from now where we no longer have personal devices that video and audio record our lives, or communicate to each other with. Rather, it will all be extremely transparent and inconspicuous, with nanotube-fast processing, and able to store immense information in something the size of a compound. Would you run around all day recording your life through your own eyes and ears so you could relive any given second simply by recalling the moment through a voice trigger? I know I would.

But what about all the conversations you have with people all day long, all the gossip, all the indiscretions, and the glances you made at some girl's booty, etc. etc.? Would you share all that data with others? Would you want it to be public? Why not? Do you have something to hide? Is not sharing your data feed a form of indictment?

So you have an interview for a new job tomorrow with a highly competitive salary and a position of power? Do you think any of your data was leaked? Forget about a resume. Why would anyone need one? With a simple voice trigger, the interviewer has already done a face recognition recall of all of your data, and knows the juiciest bits within a second. Don't bother having a seat, I know where you've been. Next please.

How would this future change the social fabric of our world? How will it change our conversations with people?

By the way, when will all of my HCFX posts come back to haunt me?

• Members

...and would you not hesitate to do this to your own brother not really knowing if your hypothesis is correct?

Not physical harm in severe and/or permanent damage - I don't know that I would be capable of inflicting that kind of pain on someone I love based entirely on an assumption. I was thinking more along the lines of a kick to the shin, slap to the back of the head, or something along those lines to get him to make some sort of noise into the phone.

Of course I'm an only child, so I will never know for certain ;)

• Members

...and would you not hesitate to do this to your own brother not really knowing if your hypothesis is correct?

Do you have a brother?

I have an older one and I'd say it pretty much describes our lifestyle from oh...4 to 20 or so

Though the question of the hypo usually was "would it amuse me to make him scream?" -- there is strong empirical evidence for "Yes, yes it would amuse me to make him scream"

• Members

Not physical harm in severe and/or permanent damage - I don't know that I would be capable of inflicting that kind of pain on someone I love based entirely on an assumption. I was thinking more along the lines of a kick to the shin, slap to the back of the head, or something along those lines to get him to make some sort of noise into the phone.

Of course I'm an only child, so I will never know for certain
;)

:lol:

Archived