Compared a UK and Korean vintage Guv'nor as well as a Stomptone clone today

grunge782

• Members

So today I tried out side by side 3 different blackbox Guv'nors. 1 UK, 1 Korean as well as my Stomptone clone.

UK: What I noticed is that the UK version sounded crisper, and felt tighter than the Korean version. It also had more highs as result. It could get a little to bright/fizzy on the top end. It does however have a great rich distortion tone anyways.

Korean: The Korean feels the loosest to my ears and is thicker sounding. It doesn't have the presence of the UK and can get a little muffled, but it still sounds and feels really "big" to my ears.

Clone: The clone got amazingly close to the UK version (since that was what it was based one). Really this had to be the best bang for your buck, and the workmanship is stellar. It doesn't have quite as much lows, but it still sounds very close.

I might be weird, but I think my favorite version is the Korean :idk:. It has a great feel to it and just sounds very thick.

I'll post a video later today or tomorrow.

• Members

Interesting; thanks. :thu:

I used to have the English-made version...

I might be weird, but I think my favorite version is the Korean
:idk:
. It has a great feel to it and just sounds very thick.

Maybe you're not so weird; I've heard quite a few people say they prefer the Korean version, and going by your descriptions, I think I may too.

• Members

Question. I noticed that the inputs and outputs are a little scratchy on the UK when I slightly turn the cables in it. I also noticed that the pots when I turn them feel really loose. I'm guessing this is due to wear since it is an older pedal.

Is there some way to safely clean the pedal? Or could the tone be affected by these issues? I'm just a little surprised by how different the UK sounds compared to the Korean.

• Members

I've read some reviews of the Drivemaster and they say the same thing about one being much better than the other, anyone know if the Bluesbreakers are the same?

I currently have the Made in England Guv'nor and want to try out the Korean one now :D

Grunge can you see any physical difference between the two versions of the Guv'nor? with the Bluesbreaker, Drivemaster and Shredmaster the enclosures have a slightly different finish.

Archived