So what's the deal with the old D.O.D. switches?

companyman

• Members

I have read about the switches being wonky on these old DOD pedals, do they just fail? are they buffered? I am pretty sure they aren't true bypass, that doesn't really bother me unless the tone-suck is majorly noticeable. I am thinking of looking for an FX-65 or the stereo phaser to split my signal before dirt to run a clean amp, along with the dirty amp. What say you?

• Members

I always preferred this switch: http://www.noisefx.com/images/products/doddeathmetalfx86_3733_large.jpg

This one isn't as nice, in my opinion: http://www.dod.com/fxpedals/images/FX86lg.jpg

I've owned a tonne of old Dod pedals and never had one break, but I have heard of the switches going dodgy eventually too. They most definitely are not true bypass but the bypass on the ones I've owned has been fine.

• Members

they have these little switches in them

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/50-Tact-Pushbutton-Switch-BOSS-Dod-Effect-Pedal-TPS-/290532535007?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item43a516aadf#ht_2907wt_1216

they can 'wear out' (easy to replace) and the other common thing is that the little spring thing inside looses it's 'springiness' this can be sorted with a little careful bending.

• Members

I always preferred this switch:

This one isn't as nice, in my opinion:

I've owned a tonne of old Dod pedals and never had one break, but I have heard of the switches going dodgy eventually too. They most definitely are not true bypass but the bypass on the ones I've owned has been fine.

yeah, I agree with this, the little flappy ones are nice (and what I was talking about) but those big crunchy ones are not.

• Members

from what I have read the sounds are pretty good, but the switches are always mentioned in a negative light, but they can be had very cheap....hmmm

I used to own about 15 dod FX series and I only ever had to fix two of the switches I think people just stomp on them too hard.... one of the nice things about them is you only need a light press to turn them on and off.

• Members

I've had over 20 DOD pedals and don't think I've ever had problems with the switches.

anyone have the Stereo Phaser, or Flanger or chorus? Are the sounds good, or cheap sounding?

I had the FX20B Stereo Phaser; I've never really been much of a phaser man, but I thought it sounded REALLY good.

The only thing I didn't like was that there was a bit of a volume boost - with the feedback dialled up, the volume boost was pretty hefty.

• Members

I think people just stomp on them too hard.... one of the nice things about them is you only need a light press to turn them on and off.

I agree. I think they were designed for a light touch and when people came over to them from other boxes that had stomp switches they stomped on them too hard and might have lead to the early demise of a lot of those switches?

• Members

I agree. I think they were designed for a light touch and when people came over to them from other boxes that had stomp switches they stomped on them too hard and might have lead to the early demise of a lot of those switches?

that makes sense, I tend to have a light touch on my switches any way.....my SMMH does the flanger/phase/chorus thing pretty well, but I would like to split my signal pre-dirt, and have the option of adding longer delays along with my modulation as well.

• Members

I hate them. The switches that is. Very wonky and the battery covers used to get lost all the time. The switches would fail in such a way were you had to stomp on them several times before they would turn on or off.

That's the same thing with the Ibanez Tone Lok series.....the effect sound quality I often really like, it's just that the switches are complete garbage. I've since learned that paying more for pedals doesn't necessarily guarantee better sound quality, but it's worth it to have the reliability in what you're playing.

• Members

I've since learned that paying more for pedals doesn't necessarily guarantee better sound quality, but it's worth it to have the reliability in what you're playing.

I hear you. One pedal manufacturer that comes to mind and keeps coming out with great & heavy duty made pedals is Boss. I've only had an issue with their LS-2 and that was because of the current draw needing a dedicated power supply (a little wonky with batteries). Built like bricks, I'm amazed that they still use the same awesome enclosures and still charge a fair price. :thu:

• Members

The switches are basically the same as Boss. The switch itself can't be pressed on hard because the pedal thing. Maybe velocity could be affected. The circuit connected to it makes a big difference. The ones that kind of suck are Ibanez, as soon as the switch goes downhill at all and the switch "bounces" you get things like the pedal turning on and back off again so it's almost random which one it ends up in.

Anyway, DODs are pretty good for silent switching type bypass. I like the newer type without the "flappy" pedal better, feels more solid but also standard AC adapter and better battery door.

Archived