hey which booster should I get

Operator

• Members

I've been using a modded OD-3 as a booster to just add more grit and sustain and whatever to solos and light gain parts and junk. But I think this one was modded for more gain, because even with the level knob at unity and the gain knob at zero, it adds way too much dirt. I just want to get something simple that goes from absolutely not change, all the way up to, I don't know, light/medium gain. I was watching videos and the MXR Micro Amp looks good, but so does the EHX LPB-1.

Other than one being true bypass and the other not, and the price, are there are any real differences I should be aware of? What should I get, strangers from the internet?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The LPB1 is a dirtier boost. It also adds a fat low end. I use it quite a bit and it fattens my leads. I use a tele though so not sure who muddy it would get with humbuckers. My lpb1 is in the front of my chain, the micro amp is last on my board. I use it to just increase whats going on in front of it. Just to help a part stand out. They do sound quite different, the MA being much cleaner.

• Members

Seymour Duncan PUP Booster gets overlooked a lot. It also has a 3-way resonance switch: regular clean boost, vintage humbucker type sound (fatten up single coils), and modern humbucker (really fatten up single coils). It's also a totally clean boost. Can be found for around $40 buck used. I like.

• Members

Seymour Duncan PUP Booster gets overlooked a lot. It also has a 3-way resonance switch: regular clean boost, vintage humbucker type sound (fatten up single coils), and modern humbucker (really fatten up single coils). It's also a totally clean boost. Can be found for around $40 buck used. I like.

I like this suggestion.

Or, http://www.fairfieldcircuitry.com/B.html.

• Members

I have one of these and I love it, but I'm not sure if he wants something that clean.

• Members

Yeah, it does sound a lot cleaner than I'm looking for. I guess I'm looking for what they call a "dirty boost."

Also, if I'm running it through a clean amp, will it still break up, or does it rely on your amp already breaking up? Maybe I need one with a master volume so I can control the gain and volume?

:confused:

• Members

I'm not trying to jack this thread, but wow, that fuzz sounds great and really cleans up well. I might order one for $69 shipped

It's a great fuzz. I may sell mine, I don't know if I'm a fuzz guy or not. The guy that builds them is a great guy, I emailed him back and forth after I bought mine.

• Members
Yeah, it does sound a lot cleaner than I'm looking for. I guess I'm looking for what they call a "dirty boost."

Also, if I'm running it through a clean amp, will it still break up, or does it rely on your amp already breaking up? Maybe I need one with a master volume so I can control the gain and volume?

:confused:

The LPB1 is what I would consider a dirtier boost. It adds some grit and lowend. I use it to push my Vibrolux thats on the edge of breaking up into crunching up. It has a good amount of boost, so it'll push the amp into overdrive. Its not a boutique boost, but it sounds great for my application and its $39 dollars new and made in NYC

Archived