An amp's reverb circuitry is essentially a parallel effects loop; well is it?

ambient

Like phantom power?

No, like signal (voltage) level. The driver and return for most spring reverbs are a lot different in terms of levels and impedance than what you want / need for guitar pedals. IMO, it's not going to be the "easy conversion" you're hoping for. In fact, I think you'd be better off leaving the reverb as is, and having a good tech add an effects loop to the amp. It would probably be easier and less expensive.

• Members

I think there was once a thing that allowed turning your reverb circuit into a dirt channel. I don't know if it was an empty box with 2 jacks to just slam the reverb return with the full send signal, or could have had diodes or some EQ in it.

Reverb can be post-master (if the amp has master vol.), you can tell if turning down master and up reverb allows you to still bang on the amp and make reverb noise. The maximum return gain is limited by feedback, they run the tank at low level at low volumes for better sound, but can't at high volumes.

• Members
I saw something interesting along these lines.

On a two channel Fender DR/Twin/etc, you can take a cable with RCA plug on one end and a 1/4" on the other and connect the reverb tank out into the Normal Channel. You can adjust the volume and tone of the reverb.

If you added a chorus pedal here, that would do what you want. I'm not sure how this would work on other amps.

I can attest to the fact that this DOES NOT WORK. I tried it and got jack {censored}.

I then posted about it and got this as a reaction:
:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Picard-no-facepalm.jpg

facepalm_implied.jpg

facepalm.jpg

so yeah, that doesn't work.

• Members
I can attest to the fact that this DOES NOT WORK. I tried it and got jack {censored}.

I then posted about it and got this as a reaction:

:facepalm:
so yeah, that doesn't work.

Bummer. I was gonna try this.

True for BF/SF and RI's?

• Members

The only effect I have ever had that plugs into the reverb send and return, is the Fender Dimension IV, oil-can vibrato.

It has no active circuit at all, completely passive, only plugs in for the motor.

With an old style amp w/ four inputs and two volumes you could fake a loop by taking out #2 to your pedals and then back to the other channel. Like a jumper.

So ( like with a twin or super) you could play the "normal channel" and jump your effects to the reverb channel, and nearly get what people are talking about , safely.

• Members

I agree that messing with the reverb tank send and return is folly ( except for the Dimension IV which is made to do that)

What I am suggesting is doing it all from the front, main panel.

Guitar in to normal #1,-Normal #2 out to pedals- pedals out to Reverb/Vibrato input #1.

Maybe a simple on/off switch in the pedal chain to turn the extras on and off completely. (Which would also kill the reverb)

Just like jumpering a Marshall or Hiwatt or Fender . I think this is totally safe, if not exactly what the OP was looking for , and depends on having an amp with 4 inputs and two volumes.

• Members

Sorry, my commend wasn't directed at you.

Your idea doesn't wind up much different to putting them out front in the first place does it?

I half figured that but I did want to outline it better.

What ends up different is that the guitar is hitting the amp directly in the first channel so you can really eliminate the tone suck.

And then you are using both preamp channels which might fatten it up too, like the classic jumper setup.

But yes it would be a somewhat different sound, still interesting.

Archived