I need new t00bz

JMR

• Members

The tubes in my peavey classic 30 are rather lifeless and bland.

Runs on EL84s. I'm looking for a thick but clean kinda sound. I don't have a whole ton of money to throw at this, so no $100 and up for a single tube. What tubes do the best for the money? I don't want to put something in that wont be much of an improvement over what I've already got in there.

halp.

• Members

I can say without a show of a doubt, TAD el84's are the worst tubes I've ever owned.. they use them stock in Laney's and they are {censored}ing lousy sounding chinese junk ... imo.

Get anything but those...

• Members

I tried a bunch of tubes in my Classic 30 but a lot of them were the NOS ones you want to avoid. I'm sitting here racking my brain to think of some others that I might have liked during those rolling sessions. It's been about 4 years so the memory is a bit destroyed by now.

I'll post back and edit this if I can think of anything.

I think I can say that I wasn't a fan of the EH Pre's that came in it. I tried some lower gain tubes in the positions and settled on the phase inverter slot. I ran a Telefunken 12au7 (could've been at7)... I liked it at first but then realized my amp was kind of hard feeling and didn't take dirt as well. I went back to the higher gain tube and it gave the front end a little cushion again. It's the same situation with my Matchless Avalon. I thought the front seemed to hairy so I put a RCA clear top 12at7 in the phase inverter slot. As soon as I move back to my hometown I'm putting the old JJ 12ax7 back in it. With my current amps I like the JJ's in the pre section. I use NOS Mullards in my el84 power sections but the JJ's that came in some of my amps were fine. The dudes here will suggest some good power tubes for ya to try out.

• Members

Must be a Central Indiana thing because my C30 head is acting the same way. Placed an order for a quad of Mullard EL84's, a Sovtek 12AX7LPS, a Mullard 12AX7, and a Tung Sol 12AX7. The pre amp tubes are recommended by a guy on the Peavey Amp forum. They all just rave about it over there so I thought I would give it a shot.

• Members

hmmmmm... I do really like the amp, though. But the tubes in it have already begun to lose output. I'm not getting nearly 30 watts of clean power. Plus, the tubes in it aren't all that nice anyway.

Archived