OT : Web Design Tips?

Aaron SS

• Members

I'm looking to finally get around to making a website for my cables/pedals but I'm looking for some tips as I know there are a few designers on here. I have the domain name purchased, the hosting taken care of, and I have Adobe PS as a design program. From there, I'm just looking for some general tips, anythings appreciated :thu:

• Members

Not really sure on what tips you want to know, but here goes:

If you know any coding, look into Dreamweaver. I've been using it for years and enjoy it. I'm sure there are guys out there that hate it, but for me, it works.

If you want to set up a content management system, check out Wordpress. Themes, plugins, widgets, etc. are all at your fingertips. Minimal coding required, and easy to setup/update.

That's fairly it. Web is so complex I could go on for pages, but I'm not sure what your background is, or what you specifically need.

• Members

Not really sure on what tips you want to know, but here goes:

If you know any coding, look into Dreamweaver. I've been using it for years and enjoy it. I'm sure there are guys out there that hate it, but for me, it works.

If you want to set up a content management system, check out Wordpress. Themes, plugins, widgets, etc. are all at your fingertips. Minimal coding required, and easy to setup/update.

That's fairly it. Web is so complex I could go on for pages, but I'm not sure what your background is, or what you specifically need.

Sorry I should've been more specific. I'm looking for current trends, current annoyances, suggested dimensions, and any other random bits of advice.

I won't be doing any coding as I've got a friend that's a web developer but he's pretty busy so basically he told me to have it designed and then he can slice it and get it up.

My background is zero experience with this but I'm fairly comfortable with photoshop up to an intermediate level I'd say.

• Members

If your web guy is just going to cut up PSDs and make a site, you're not going to have fun updating it. You would need to recreate the PSDs, redo the web files, and upload them. I would honestly check out Wordpress. Blackout Effectors and PGS are using it. Tone Factor is using something very similar. It's free and super easy to update.

• Members

If your web guy is just going to cut up PSDs and make a site, you're not going to have fun updating it. You would need to recreate the PSDs, redo the web files, and upload them. I would honestly check out Wordpress. Blackout Effectors and PGS are using it. Tone Factor is using something very similar. It's free and super easy to update.

Will do, last time I looked into that all I saw was templates. What would I need to do to make my own template for wordpress?

• Members

Also: make sure ANYONE with ANY computer can visit your site.

I hate to see "you need [insert better browser] to view this website". If my browser is not good enough for your oh-so-great website, than screw you! I'll take my buisiness elsewhere!

/rant

• Members

Does WP need specific dimensions if you're uploading a background or something like that?

Backgrounds won't need certain dimensions, as all monitor and settings will be different with each user. Headers and such can have specific dimensions, however, you can easily change them in your settings to fit what you need.

Archived