NCD. Ampeg content.

• Members

V4 Cab. Only one original speaker I think and it's blown. What should I replace them with? Weber Thames? The grill shows sign of a spilled drink but I don't care to clean or replace that. Now I can buy me a loud head!! The hunt begins...

Here it is. Crappy picture:

dscf0833u.jpg

• Members

Well, I just got the speakers out and not a single CTS. One is a JBL D120F that will need a recone. Another one is a no name generic looking but 'Made in the USA'. The other two are EVM Electro Voice 12L, one in perfect condition and the other one with a 'repaired' tear that is still torn at one end.

Edit: The generic looking one is actually a SWAN 305 12" woofer.

• Members

Yeah, I'll keep those two EV in there for now and see how I like them. I've got some black gasket sealant to repair the small tear on the one that needs it. I'm not looking for anything in particular and I'm also not going for the vintage tones or trying to replace them for something close to the original CTS speakers. I'll keep my eyes on craigslist and see what shows up in the next couple of weeks. If I had to get a new pair though I'm leaning towards the Swamp Thangs for now...

Two JBLs and two EVs would be so sick, but you could put just about anything you want in there. Do you want vintage toanz or do you not care about that?

^^^ That's what I'd do - get the three good speakers fixed up (recone any of the three that need it), and then find a second JBL D120F. You will have both highs and bottom for days... not to mention HUGE power handling capacity and excellent speaker efficiency. IOW, you'll be able to hit it with a high-powered head, and the speakers will make maximum use of every watt. IOW #2: It will be REALLY loud! :)

• Members

Yeah, Phil is totally on the ball. A lot of the old JBLs and the like were extremely efficient because they would have to squeeze out as much volume as they could from the amps back when there was almost no PA support for instruments. You would definitely have a thunderous cab if you kept some oldschool JBLs and EVs in there. :thu:

• Members

I'll keep the JBL as it is for now. The cheapest recone kit I could find was $75 bucks. I'll fix it up when I find a good use for it, maybe for a future project. I think the cheapest and best alternative now is a couple of Swamp Thangs. My local craigslist was full of speakers(a bunch of eminence) a few weeks ago so I'll look around for now and see what comes up. Thanks for the recommendations guys!!

• Members

^^^ That's what I'd do - get the three good speakers fixed up (recone any of the three that need it), and then find a second JBL D120F. You will have both highs and bottom for days... not to mention HUGE power handling capacity and excellent speaker efficiency. IOW, you'll be able to hit it with a high-powered head, and the speakers will make maximum use of every watt. IOW #2: It will be REALLY loud!
:)

OTOH, the aluminum domes on the JBLs can get razor like if you use a dirt pedal and a clean amp.

Archived