Test for different MP3 bitrates

Vince

• Members

Seriously? I could only tell on the jazz clip where the bass was lacking on the 128kbs version. On the other 2 I really really struggle to tell the difference - what should I be listening for?

Oh, and what are you listening to it on?

12/12

too easy.

with the clips as reference, there's no reason to have any wrong (if you know what to listen for)

someone should make a fake version of this test to weed out audiophile fakers.

• Members

I got 5/5 (on my notebook's speakers) and then got bored.

Would have had a lot more trouble if they didn't include the reference clips...

{censored}. My ears are defective!

• Members

someone should make a fake version of this test to weed out audiophile fakers.

Still too easy. No doubt a veiled fake would make me second guess myself and listen back a little more, but these are night/day differences.

• Members

I had real trouble with the blues clip, but I managed to guess right with the other two from the start- the jazz clip was definitely lacking bass in the 128kbps version and the ride cymbal sounded considerably flatter and less realistic. The flamenco track was trickier, but the percussion was the giveaway- much crisper in the 320kbps version.

I did manage to guess right on the blues clip eventually (third time lucky :D)- I think it was the smoother room 'verb and a little extra definition on the guitar on the 320kbps version that differentiated the two for me.

The difference was noticeable if you were listening really carefully (and because the circumstances of the test mean you know it's there if you listen for it), but it wasn't nearly as great as I would have expected considering the difference in bitrate- I guess the difference would be subliminal if anything- that slightly flatter, less involving sound might make your music seem less interesting to listen to.

Listening on my work desktop PC with Soundmagic PL-30 in-ears FWIW.

Archived