So, are watts, watts,...

companyman

• Members

What I've always heard, though I have no idea whether this is scientifically accurate, is that tube wattage is perceived as having more volume because tube amps distort more gently. So you can turn a tube amp much louder (i.e., well into the distortion zone) and it still sounds good, whereas solid state distortion is much more harsh (harder clipping I think), so it sounds bad at lower volumes, so you never turn it up as much . . .

• Members

show me a 100 watt solid state head that is as loud as any standard 100 watt tube head. all of the competitive (volume wise) SS heads that i know of are all 300 watters. randall vmax, marshall mode four, etc.. at least as far as perceived volume within a band situation i find that SS amps put out about half or 1/3 of the volume of a tube amp of equal wattage.

• Members

I don't know how to clarify this myth, but if you post a question like that here, you might not get the responses you're looking for.

Try HCAF or
maybe
TGP.

usually I am one of the dip{censored}s giving stupid answers, so far they responses have been quite cogent.

What I've always heard, though I have no idea whether this is scientifically accurate, is that tube wattage is perceived as having more volume because tube amps distort more gently. So you can turn a tube amp much louder (i.e., well into the distortion zone) and it still sounds good, whereas solid state distortion is much more harsh (harder clipping I think), so it sounds bad at lower volumes, so you never turn it up as much . . .

A solid state amp, when running within its limits, will be clean. When it hits the limit, it will clip - and in a very different way than a tube amp clips. A tube amp does indeed compress and clips more gradually. You get an increase in THD, but the ear can actually deal with a lot of distortion before stuff sounds "bad" - with solid state amps it's usually goes from "not distorting", and then you turn it up just a bit more and BAM - now it is. Badly.

The bigger variable factor isn't "watts" as much as it is speakers and efficiency. You simply can't do a fair comparison between a 15W SS amp and a 15W tube amp without using the same speaker(s). You can't do it fairly without getting out your oscilloscope and looking at the waveforms and seeing when it starts to clip, and actually taking the time to measure the output. At least not if you're trying to be fair and accurate.

Here - read this:

http://www.harmonycentral.com/docs/DOC-1951

:wave:

• Members

A solid state amp, when running within its limits, will be clean. When it hits the limit, it will clip - and in a very different way than a tube amp clips. A tube amp does indeed compress and clips more gradually. You get an increase in THD, but the ear can actually deal with a lot of distortion before stuff sounds "bad" - with solid state amps it's usually goes from "not distorting", and then you turn it up just a bit more and BAM - now it is. Badly.

The bigger variable factor isn't "watts" as much as it is speakers and efficiency. You simply can't do a fair comparison between a 15W SS amp and a 15W tube amp without using the same speaker(s). You can't do it fairly without getting out your oscilloscope and looking at the waveforms and seeing when it starts to clip, and actually taking the time to measure the output. At least not if you're trying to be fair and accurate.

Here - read this:

http://www.harmonycentral.com/docs/DOC-1951

:wave:

Thanks Phil! Yeah solidstate distortion is harsh to my ears....but I play mostly clean, and with a bit of OD from a pedal...not a high gain guy or fuzz person for the most part. Speaker efficiency is a huge factor I know.

• Members

Sooooo, I hear tubes "sound waves" or whatever sound like an actual wave, like an S but sideways.

Whereas solidstate is like,

IIIII IIIIIII

I I I I

I I I I

I IIIIIII IIIII, and so on. And because of this tubes sound better when clipping. What I want to know is why stompboxes sound alright. Is it just because they are not clipping transistors, therefore it doesn't have that angular wave?

EDIT: Aw, poop. My example of what the wave is suppose to look like didn't work out. SO just imagine a square wave.

Archived